Master of Puppets sound (the song)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master of Puppets sound (the song)...

Hey you guys please help me get close to the MoP sound with my AMP. I got the trebeley liquidy sound of Hetfields guitar perfect. (I'm talking about the mix of the gain and Treble with no mids). Now I need help on the sound of Hammets guitar sound the more bassy sound with some treble and not too much gain if you now what I mean. Even though Hetfield and Hammett played together throughout the song (excluding the Interlude and solo), I want to get as close to the sound as possible. I'm gong to get a new AMP as in my other topic, but however I find that I could also get good close tones to other songs on my current AMP. So the settings are the following:
    Volume: 0-10
    Gain: 0-10
    Volume 2: 0-10

Now on this AMP, the Bass, Mids, and Treble are different. They look like this:
    -12 - - - - 0 - - - - 12+
    I don't really know how to explain it, but between -12 and 0 there are 4 levels and between 0 and 12+ there are 4 levels. So its basically 7 O'clock through 5 o'clock excluding the 6 o'clock. Its pretty wieird. So....

Bass: -12 - - - - 0 - - - - 12+
    Mids: -12 - - - - 0 - - - - 12+
    Treble: -12 - - - - 0 - - - - 12+

So please help me get a close sound. I hope you understood. So thanks for your time. Oh and also please help me get a close sound for these Metallica songs...(If you can't just plase try atleast to get a close sound to MoP the song.)
    Here are the songs:
    Master of Puppets
    Enter Sandman
    Fade to Black
    One
    Ride the Lightning
    Sanitarium (Welcome Home)
    ...And justice for All

Once again thanks, I picked this site to post on cause it sees like you guys really know your stuff. Keep on shreddin'. (And if somehow this is the wrong forum please don't mark me..)

Re: Master of Puppets sound (the song)...

I think much of the sought-after Metallica tone is from the gear they play through. If you're playing a Fender Strat through a tiny practice amp you're never going to get that huge in-your-face skull-rattling Metallica tone no matter how much you tweak. Why not A/B it? Play the intro to MoP cranked up on your stereo, pause it, and try to tweak the tone knobs on your amp to get closer to the sound you just heard. Let your ears guide you...
    Last edited by 7th Hell; 07-06-2004, 09:15 AM.
    Very Metal.

:firedevil :headbang: :firedevil

ESP Lynch Kamikaze 4
    ESP Lynch Sunburst Tiger
    ESP Lynch Skulls and Snakes
    ESP Lynch Serpent-colored lefty body
    ESP KH-1
    LTD F-207-7 string- custom metal headstock tone block
    BC Rich KKV
    Schecter Omen 7-7 string- SD '59 neck/Custom bridge
    Soldano Series II Super Lead 60

Comment

Bump.....

Comment

Maybe I'm just not reading this right, but you never mentioned what amp you actually have? If you say what you have, odds are somebody can tell you if it'll get the Metallica sound you want.
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Yeah lol but then people will try dissing my amp and then everyone will say that it won't get me that MetallicA sound. Well I'm trying to get as close as I get with hat I got. What could I do...currently I don't have the best amp but I'm workin with what I got....

Comment

but you wont get "that" sound. the only true way to get "that" sound is a mesa boogie mark 2c+ with emg equipped guitars. you may want to try the metallica forum on this one. the member named crunchmeister gets a really good metallica tone through a peavey bandit amp. you should definitely ask him.

Comment

Originally posted by GuyKawka
              Yeah lol but then people will try dissing my amp and then everyone will say that it won't get me that MetallicA sound. Well I'm trying to get as close as I get with hat I got. What could I do...currently I don't have the best amp but I'm workin with what I got....

We may tell you that, but we still need to know what you're playing with. Humbuckers on gtr? SS amp? Tube? Pignose? What?!

That's like telling the doctor you're sick but not telling him your symptoms.
              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Fine I have an Ibanez TB15 and I'm getting a Marshall amp but anyways help me get that sound please...

Comment

well, with that thing i think ur best bet is doing this High's all the way, Mids zero or one, and Bass at about 7 or 8 and gain newhere from 7-10. but ur right ur not gonna get the tone w/ that amp pr nearly enough distortion, but good luck

Comment

This may help you ...

Not too much useful info, but it's a starting point ...

Comment

Ya know, the ESP forum can probably help you with this, as well. That forum has a lot of Metallica freaks.

Comment

Originally posted by GuyKawka
                        Even though Hetfield and Hammett played together throughout the song
                        um....no. up till and including the black album, james recorded all the rhythm parts and kirk only did solos.
                        Originally posted by Aceman
                        It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

for the rhythm sound i think you can nail it with a boss metal zone as for the lead(solos) i think kirk used a tube screamer.
                          2006 Gibson Custom '58 Reissue Les Paul

1991 Orville Les Paul Custom

2009 Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster 50s

Comment

Um actually...In MoP, Kirk was the rhythm and James was the Lead. So ya. And really a tubescreamer?! I thought those things give you an awesome blues overdrive crunch, not that heavy yet liquidy lead that they had...

Comment

Anyone going to answer?

Comment

Working...
                              X