Help-Amp Problem (i think)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help-Amp Problem (i think)

It sounds like your Bandmaster has not been properly "restored" or serviced and is probably not safe to play. Definitely have a 3-wire power cord installed ASAP, not just a 3-prong plug added. Your safety is at stake, don't play it until you get the cord replaced.

The outlet on the back of the chassis is simply that, another outlet that you can plug something else into, like a stand alone reverb unit for instance.

And someone else mentioned this, but if you still have a 2-wire power cord chances are excellent that the filter caps have not been replaced yet either. This will crap up your tone and if they fail could take other components with them.

Take it to a tech, get a 3-wire power cord which will ground the chassis properly, have them remove connection to the ground switch as it does no good with a 3-wire config, remove the "death cap" if it has one, replace all filter caps, and give the board components (caps and resistors) a good going over. The bias cap should probably be replaced too.

The power cord/ground switch/death cap fix is all one deal and should only cost about $25-30 to have done. A complete filter cap job is highly recommended as those caps really only last 10-20 years at most with the high voltage (~440V) that a Bandmaster runs at, (you might hear some 60 cycle hum from them too) and will be $100 or so. There are probably 5 large caps under the "dog house" or "can" on the outside of the chassis. Don't know what year or model circuit yours is but since the last Bandmasters (not Bandmaster Reverb right?) were made in the '70s. It needs parts and service for your and the amps safety.

Drop me an email if you have questions....

Comment

Working...
    X