G&L owners...help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G&L owners...help!

I'm gonna be buildin a Warmoth pretty soon here and I'm EXTREMELY interested in G&L's PTB tone control system. Any of you ever pull up the pickguard and figure out how they did that?

Is it just a special kind of pot or what?

Thanks!

-X
    green globe burned black by sunn

I think PTB probably stands for "passive treble bass", since it's a volume/ master treble/ master bass setup.

After building my Warmoth strats, and using a stock wiring scheme with just a jumper added to get tone on the bridge pickup, I prefer the tone I get with that rather than my G &L - the G & L uses a 500k and 1000k pot, so maybe that's the difference - makes for a brighter ax, IMO.

the idea of master treble/ master bass seems good in theory, though

you might find additional info on G & L's site.
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

yeah, my idea is to use the guitar's tone controls for all my sound changes while gigging because I don't like to have a lot of pedals and my amp only has High and Low controls...so my idea is to max the EQ on the amp, then tweek with the guitar while I'm playing.

a bass cut seems like the best way to get some twang out of my Strat even if it's got, say, Hot Rails...but maybe it's just a pipe dream.

any more info?
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Hit the G & L site, and down load the schematic, If you can't do that for some reason I can send it to you ... It's real simple, the treble is a normal tone knob 500k-A with a .022uF ( 22nF) cap; then bass control is a 1Meg-C with a .0022uF ( 2.2nF ) the bass control is simply a high pass filter, the pot controls the attenuation level, they wire the bass control after the treble control and then on to the volume knob 500k-A (some models have a 220pF cap across the volume pot, and the S-500's had a
        1,000pF (1 nF ) cap straight to ground from the pup selector to punch up the mids a bit ). Check the site for the schematics.
        ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
        ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
        Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

The G&L Forum, has wiring schematics. www.guitarsbyleo.com

Sprinter
          Collings: '08 001-mhsb
          Dean: '02 Hardtail
          Fender: '63 Jazzmaster, '74 Telecaster & '11 American Special Telecaster
          Fender Custom Shop: '16 1962 Custom Telecaster
          Gibson: '78 Les Paul Deluxe & '99 Les Paul Standard
          G&L: '87 Asat, '02 Asat Classic
          Guild: '81 X-79 Skyhawk
          Heritage: '09 H535 25th Anniversary
          PRS: '97 Standard 24 & '99 McCarty

Comment

Working...
          X