Diezel Heads and Cabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diezel Heads and Cabs

I am looking for some opinions regarding Diezel gear. Hopefully, from players who own or have played Diezel before.

How does the head (either one) compare to the other premium stuff by Soldano, VHT or Bogner?

What about the Cabs?

If you own one what sold you on Diezel gear considering it is about twice the price as anything else out there?
    MY MUSIC

When the going get's tough I get a machinegun.

Re: Diezel Heads and Cabs

I haven't tried the Herbert, although a few people have offered to trade theirs for my Ecstasy. I did try the VH4, and it is a great amp, although it's steep price and midi only footswitching were the only negatives I could find. Between the Ecstasy and VH4, I'd give the nod to the Bogner, although both are top of the heap, when it comes to versatile tube amps. There are very few places where you can actually try Bogners, and even less places that stock Diezels, so you pretty much have to buy on reputation. Go on harmony and read up on the Bogner 101B and Diezels. The customers who have layed out those prices tend to know what they're talking about, mostly because they've owned a lot of amps. Of course, like all reviews, you've got to read between the lines, to make your final decision.
    As far as the price.....one of those amps will replace any gear you're thinking of selling to recoup the loss.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

If you can afford it, I think the Diezel Herbert would be a great buy when it comes to versatility and tone. From what I've read, it can do everything from chimey cleans to genuine Bogner 101B lead (red channel).

Some disadvantages include the fact that it has unbelievably high watts (I think something like 180???) with no way to cut the power on it.

However, if you can imagine a VH4 thats tone is 50% better, that's what the Herbert v2 is (this is coming from research mind you, I've never played any of them)
      Originally posted by kevlar3000
      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
      Originally posted by Zerberus
      Better is often the enemy of good
      Originally posted by ginormous
      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I think the VH4 is pretty amazing. 4 complete channels, each with its own EQ. The 1st channel can do country and jazz, the 2nd can do blues and southern rock, the 3rd channel is just great for VH, Megadeth, 80s type stuff and the 4th channel is the super gain channel for modern stuff. All of it sounds great. Go to Tone Mechants and listen to the clips- great stuff!
        MY MUSIC

When the going get's tough I get a machinegun.

Comment

my observations on the Herbert.....

Cleans were almost perfect...

OD's on either ch.2 or 3 were good, but had a "resonant crackle" around 2khz
          that I just couldn't dial out.....

Ch. 3 - borderline unusable amount of gain..(of course, then again I don't play very many ultra heavy tunes anymore.. )

Entire amp was pretty mid scooped, plus the addition of an actual "mid scoop" circuit.....pretty much lends itself to mostly heavier tones..

All in all, it's probably about 5th on my list of favorites so far....constructed like a tank and definitely for the OD impaired!!! Low end response was not quite as tight as I had expected, but still better than most..easily responds quite well to all kinds of spkr/cab variations. My only gripe with it was the entire amp is basically one very large PCB, very solidly made and Peter definitely got the PCB construction right....but working on one would be almost impossible.....(doubtful, you would ever need to!!!) I have to admit, Diezels, Bogners, Mesa's and most of the newer high gain amps aren't really my thing, although the HK Triamp I really liked....

Please understand, since I get to work on ultra-cool amps like the Diezel and others all day long, my experiences are rarely as an owner, but just someone lucky enough to have played through almost every amp concieved...tough gig, huh?

just FWIW...

Jeff Seal
          ..lots and lots of toys!

"...swords and tequila, carry me through the fight!"

"I am Phil"....
          www.houstonamprepair.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Seal
            I have to admit, Diezels, Bogners, Mesa's and most of the newer high gain amps aren't really my thing, although the HK Triamp I really liked....
            THANK YOU!

I love my Triamp to death and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything by not buying the almighty Bogner. I don't think I'm EVER going to sell that amp
            Originally posted by kevlar3000
            I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
            Originally posted by Zerberus
            Better is often the enemy of good
            Originally posted by ginormous
            Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Working...
            X