Talk to me about Dual Rectifiers please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk to me about Dual Rectifiers please

Ok I've settled my mind, I'm scouting out for a Dual Rectifier.
    After looking around I notice there are quite a few differences between them.

Any specific types I should look out for?
    Any specific types to avoid like the plague?

What I want at least is a good clean channel, high gain channel, solo boost, fx loop, bold/spongy switch in the head version. (No rackmount) All footswitchable.

I think all the recto's feature these options but I also see some that have 3 independant channels which look more interesting. Is the only difference between these models the extra independant channel? I always have the idea that the ones with the most options are the best heads out there.

Re: Talk to me about Dual Rectifiers please

the only difference between the new ones is the additional third channel. but many, myself included, don't think the new 3-channel ones sound up to par compared to the old 2-channel ones. i've played both, and the old one definitely takes the cake. although i have heard of people putting JJ's or GT's in the power section and getting much better results.

if you've got your mind set on a dual, go around to some shops that sell used gear and try to find an old 2-channel one. but definitely don't everlook the single rectifier. it has all the same options except you're limited to a solid state rectifier, and in turn you don't get the bold/spongy switch. just as everyone around here says...50 watts will really crank, and my single gets the job done and then some.
    gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
    '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
    mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
    marshall 1960A 4x12
    and a few pedals

Comment

Hey man I was thinking of getting a Marshall 1960A cab with it, how does it sound with the recto?

Comment

All rectifiers are good. They all pretty much sound the same. If you can score a Dual Rectifier Trem-o-Verb I'd say go for it, since it's the same as a normal Dual with the addition of onboard tremolo and reverb. They say the 94-95 Dual Rectifiers are some of the best sounding (the Rack-tifier being the best of them), but I don't know how to date them, and I wouldn't trust someone who's selling one to date it for me. On the other hand, I've heard people who don't like the voicing on the older Rectifiers, and prefer the voicing of the newer ones, so in the end, it all comes down to personal taste. Personally, I'd take what muttonchopsrule says for truth - ie, if you adjust the voicing by using non-Mesa tubes, whether you have an early or late model Recto becomes a somewhat moot point.

Also, I think the newer ones have an extra channel voicing option (Raw was added I believe), and on the three channel models the Presence knob on channel two and three is different. You can dial in the same sound on both channels, but it's intended to give channel two more of a rhythm sound and channel 3 more of a lead sound.
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

The original Mesa Dual Rectifiers had a dual rectifier (they have both tube and solid state rectification).

Mesa Single Rectifiers only have one rectifer (solid state).

The Triples a wierd one. As it's still a dual rectifier, it just has two extra power tubes.

That's my best guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Peterku
            Thanks. It's all ok but my problem is with the verb 'to rectify'. It's not in my dictionary and in Hungarian I've only met this word before in the field of descriptive geometry...
            What does a rectifier do?

A rectifier converts AC voltage to DC voltage. Tube rectifiers have a bit of delay or sag to them as the cannot react as fast to current change as a silicon diode.

Fenders: '69 CS Strat; Hwy1 Strat SSL2's, SSL3T;CP Jaguar
            Gibsons: LP DC STD Seth & Brobucker; LP STD Plus PGn & CC; (2)ES-335's; LP R7 Custom SNS & C4; LP '68 Custom '59A4 & C5; LP Trad 2014 PG & SNS; Explorer PG & C4; SG Std '57 & BB3;
            Jacksons: SL2H w/DMZ AN & Super D; DK1 w/59 & C5; Dinky Elite, DK2 w/AN & AZ, RR5FR
            Marshall 2550 Silver Jubilee; JMP 2203, Vox AC15C1; Gibson Super Goldtone GA30RV; Suhr CAA-OD100SE+, CAA PT100; Fender Vibrolux Reverb

Comment

Originally posted by Nightburst
              Hey man I was thinking of getting a Marshall 1960A cab with it, how does it sound with the recto?
              IMHO the rectifiers sound best with celestion vintage 30 speakers, which are contained in the mesa rectifier cabs. I don't really like the way mine (single rec) sounds with a regular 1960A, which has G12T-75 speakers in it if I'm not mistaken. However, I really liked the way it sounded through the marshall vintage cabinets, but those are more expensive. As to what I have, it's a regular sized rectifier cab, by the way. Hope this helps.
              "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

Originally posted by TwofacePimp
                IMHO the rectifiers sound best with celestion vintage 30 speakers, which are contained in the mesa rectifier cabs. I don't really like the way mine (single rec) sounds with a regular 1960A, which has G12T-75 speakers in it if I'm not mistaken. However, I really liked the way it sounded through the marshall vintage cabinets, but those are more expensive. As to what I have, it's a regular sized rectifier cab, by the way. Hope this helps.
                I run mine into V30's as well. Awesome sound. It's almost like they were designed together.

I have a friend who loves the sound of his through is Marshall 1960AV. He says it's a little tighter sounding with a bit more punch than an oversized Mesa cab, but it doesn't have quite as much thump. I've yet to hear him play through it, but trust his opinion.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys, you all have been a great help!
                  I'm about to bid on a dual rectifier as I type this. I think I'll go with a Randall cab with V30's then, I like to take the safe route. What would you guys say is a fair price for the amp? 1500?

Comment

I don't know what they normally sell for over in Europe, so I can't really help there.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightburst
                      Thanks a lot guys, you all have been a great help!
                      I'm about to bid on a dual rectifier as I type this. I think I'll go with a Randall cab with V30's then, I like to take the safe route. What would you guys say is a fair price for the amp? 1500?
                      1500 will buy a brand spanking new one. If you're talking about a Trem-O-Verb in good used condition, I'd go for it. If you're talking about an ordinary Dual used for 1500, look elsewhere!

Comment

But remember that Euros not dollars so 1500 is pretty alright...It is €'s right?
                        Marshall JVM 410C
                        Mesa Boogie DC-3
                        ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                        1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                        2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                        2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                        1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                        2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                        1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarist
                          1500 will buy a brand spanking new one.
                          In the US. He's in Holland.

Comment

Working...
                          X