gibson sg specials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gibson sg specials

i was in a local shop yesterday, and i was playing a '97 gibson sg special. it was nice and all, it was in good shape and it played and sounded great. but the guy wanted $700 for it, and wasn't willing to negociate any more than like $50. a '97 special for $700? what gives? don't brand new ones go for $599? or was there something different about the specials from the 90's?
    gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
    '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
    mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
    marshall 1960A 4x12
    and a few pedals

Re: gibson sg specials

I got my '96 on E-bay for $500 a couple of years ago. The ones that are $599 are probably the Faded models... I don't think they're as good. I do think $700 is a bit high for that though, unless there's something special about it.

Comment

The faded model is $599 but others are more expensive, though not necessarily better. Personally, I'd go for a faded since it's cheeper and has a better finish for resonance and feel. Get a new bridge pickup though. Oh, and the faded has an ebony fingerboard.

Comment

I don't know about a better finish. I personally can't stand the feel of the faded finish, that and the workmanship on the Faded's I've played has been way below that of the regular Specials.

Comment

Originally posted by dd12939
          I don't know about a better finish. I personally can't stand the feel of the faded finish, that and the workmanship on the Faded's I've played has been way below that of the regular Specials.

As far as workmanship, I suspect that that might have something to do with who you buy it from. The faded guitars I've played at the various long and mcquades we have here in southern ontario have all been in great condition as far as fretwork goes, but that says nothing about the condition they were in when they arrived. That said, once they were spruced up....

Comment

Originally posted by theboatcandream
            As far as workmanship, I suspect that that might have something to do with who you buy it from. The faded guitars I've played at the various long and mcquades we have here in southern ontario have all been in great condition as far as fretwork goes, but that says nothing about the condition they were in when they arrived. That said, once they were spruced up....

No guitar shop is going to spend time dressing the frets of a guitar they just got in. It really is hit and miss with the faded series. I worked for GC for a while and saw probably hundreds of these, and the fret jobs are the only thing I can really complain about. Many had sharp fret edges. Once you round the edges out and maybe buff out the faces of the frets, I would say they are great guitars for the money.

Comment

I tried out a faded and a special, and went with the special because of the poor fretwork on the faded I tried.
              This machine kills fascists

Comment

alright, this is beginning to make sense then. i've been looking into an sg lately, and this special (i guess it's just a special, not a faded) played as good as any standard that i've played, if not better. the worst part is that i'm only about $250 away from being able to afford it, and now that i'm able to put a good amount of money down, my car died. funny the way things work out.
                gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
                '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
                mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
                marshall 1960A 4x12
                and a few pedals

Comment

I was going to say that I was able to talk those folks at GC down $100 on a new SG special because of some dings I pointed out, but I just checked the price tag, and those m*ther f*ckers charged me for the cheap-ass gig bag that is supposed to come with it! (source: Gibson web site and Musican's friend web site). I'm pissed!

I'm still within the 30-day trial period, so I'm going to march down there and threaten to return that thing unless they refund my money for the gig bag.
                  This machine kills fascists

Comment

Working...
                  X