• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Hot _Grits
    Buttery Toneologist

• Hot _Grits
    replied
    Gloss nitro is my fave. After a while it loses its stickiness and becomes very smooth. Very different feel to gloss poly. But really, I'm not to fussed. I prefer vintage gloss as a look, though.

Leave a comment:

• rspst14
    Tone Cat

• rspst14
    replied
    Neither...I prefer oil finishing, like on my Wolfgang. Fastest, smoothest neck you will ever play...although the lack of a hard finish can sometimes cause stability problems with a neck. Peavey uses a double truss rod and graphite reinforcement to prevent this from happening.

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• ex-250
    Riffologist Extraordinaire

• ex-250
    replied
    ive never had problems with either

Leave a comment:

• dystrust
    Mojo's Minions

• dystrust
    replied
    Satin vs. Gloss

I think satin finish is fastest, but both of my Strats are gloss. I never used to be able to play on gloss, but I've been playing LPs for so long that I just got used to it. I put gloss necks on my Strats so that my guitars would feel consistent instead of one being far smoother than the others.

Leave a comment:

• Zerberus
    Baron Von Shred

• Zerberus
    replied
    Over the 2: Satin, feels faster ato me, and I have the same "stickiness issue" with gloss necks as SD97.

I prefer them completely unfinished, sanded to 2000Grit, and polished with 0000 Steel wool, though

Leave a comment:

• Jono_L

• Jono_L
    replied
    I had a stock satin finish on my Ibanez neck. Sanded it down to bare wood and oiled it - imho, it plays quite a bit faster and smoother now.

Oiled finish all the way!

Leave a comment:

• nuntius
    Boogeyman of Tone

• nuntius
    replied
    i prefer satin but im not too fussy either way. its not like gloss is unplayable :6:

Leave a comment:

• butnut
    Ultimate Tone Slacker

• butnut
    replied
    I love the poly satin gloss on my JV necks...has a nice vintage look too and never sticky, just rights feel. I can handle the gloss, but satin does work better.

Leave a comment:

• Rocker35
    Ultimate Tone Member

• Rocker35
    replied
    Don't like gloss finishes at all on necks. I usually lightly sand my necks with 000 grade flour paper to give a nice smooth feel.

Leave a comment:

• B2D
    SDUGF Riffologist Supremö

• B2D
    replied
    The satin finish feels better, as it tends not to get sticky from sweat and dirt and such. However I have no problem with moving around on either of them, I just prefer satin.

...but I do like the vintage tint, though. My '92 American Floyd Strat was a vintage tint on the neck but it's a satin finish! Perfect look and feel. I wish Warmoth would add this "vintage satin" option to their finishes. I love the vintage look but I want the satin.

Leave a comment:

• MattPete
    Ultimate Tone Slacker

• MattPete
    replied
    I always hated finished necks...especially the gloss and painted ones. The I ordered a satin finish Warmoth neck. No complaints, and personally, I think it's as nice (well, nearly as nice) as unfinished wood.

Leave a comment:

• Sprinter
    Super Toneologist

• Sprinter
    replied
    Gloss

Leave a comment:

• telerifik
    Tone Member

• telerifik
    replied
    I am the outcast, I love gloss lol.

Leave a comment:

• STRATDELUXER97
    Stratoblaster Tone Meister

• STRATDELUXER97
    replied
    Originally posted by Gearjoneser
    Definitely satin with medium jumbo frets.

As much as I love the look of tinted glossy finish and vintage frets,
    those necks feel foreign to me.

Sometimes, I wish Les Pauls and PRS guitars had satin finished necks, but I'm not about to start sanding! That would be a nice option for those companies to consider.
    I know you aren't asking,but I get around pretty quickly on rosewood also...Gloss tends to slow me down and get squeeky when wet...Sometimes is just as if the gloss causes some resistance while sliding along the neck...I'm not saying the gloss itself is sticky...I guess most of you can relate to what I mean?

John

Leave a comment:

• Gearjoneser
    Gear Ho

• Gearjoneser
    replied
    Definitely satin with medium jumbo frets.

As much as I love the look of tinted glossy finish and vintage frets,
    those necks feel foreign to me.

Sometimes, I wish Les Pauls and PRS guitars had satin finished necks, but I'm not about to start sanding! That would be a nice option for those companies to consider.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X