Please..Maple neck speed Satin vs. Gloss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please..Maple neck speed Satin vs. Gloss

In your experience what finish on a neck is faster satin or gloss?

1. Satin finish on maple neck is faster

2. Gloss finish on maple neck is faster
    Satin finish on Maple neck
    87.10%
    Gloss finish on Maple neck
    12.90%
    Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
    The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Definitely satin with medium jumbo frets.

As much as I love the look of tinted glossy finish and vintage frets,
    those necks feel foreign to me.

Sometimes, I wish Les Pauls and PRS guitars had satin finished necks, but I'm not about to start sanding! That would be a nice option for those companies to consider.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
      Definitely satin with medium jumbo frets.

As much as I love the look of tinted glossy finish and vintage frets,
      those necks feel foreign to me.

Sometimes, I wish Les Pauls and PRS guitars had satin finished necks, but I'm not about to start sanding! That would be a nice option for those companies to consider.
      I know you aren't asking,but I get around pretty quickly on rosewood also...Gloss tends to slow me down and get squeeky when wet...Sometimes is just as if the gloss causes some resistance while sliding along the neck...I'm not saying the gloss itself is sticky...I guess most of you can relate to what I mean?

John
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I am the outcast, I love gloss lol.

Comment

Gloss
          Collings: '08 001-mhsb
          Dean: '02 Hardtail
          Fender: '63 Jazzmaster, '74 Telecaster & '11 American Special Telecaster
          Fender Custom Shop: '16 1962 Custom Telecaster
          Gibson: '78 Les Paul Deluxe & '99 Les Paul Standard
          G&L: '87 Asat, '02 Asat Classic
          Guild: '81 X-79 Skyhawk
          Heritage: '09 H535 25th Anniversary
          PRS: '97 Standard 24 & '99 McCarty

Comment

I always hated finished necks...especially the gloss and painted ones. The I ordered a satin finish Warmoth neck. No complaints, and personally, I think it's as nice (well, nearly as nice) as unfinished wood.
            This machine kills fascists

Comment

The satin finish feels better, as it tends not to get sticky from sweat and dirt and such. However I have no problem with moving around on either of them, I just prefer satin.

...but I do like the vintage tint, though. My '92 American Floyd Strat was a vintage tint on the neck but it's a satin finish! Perfect look and feel. I wish Warmoth would add this "vintage satin" option to their finishes. I love the vintage look but I want the satin.

Comment

Don't like gloss finishes at all on necks. I usually lightly sand my necks with 000 grade flour paper to give a nice smooth feel.
                GUITARS
                STRATS: Custom Strat - Lil 59/Classic Stack/Hot Stack, Jackson Fusion - C5/JB Jr/JB Jr, Kramer Pacer Custom - CC/SSL-1/SSL-1, Schecter V-1 Plus - C5/SSL-6/SSL-6, VH1 Strat - 59, Fender Partsocaster - C/PG hybrids

LESTERS: Edwards Sykes Custom - DD/DD, Edwards Custom V/white - JB/59, Burny Floyd Rose Les Paul
                AMPS
                Engl Screamer 50 combo + V112 Cab, Splawn Competition, Marshall 1982A & 1982B, Marshall 1960A.

Comment

I love the poly satin gloss on my JV necks...has a nice vintage look too and never sticky, just rights feel. I can handle the gloss, but satin does work better.

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
                  Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
                  Celestion speakers
                  Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
                  Too many pedals....

Comment

i prefer satin but im not too fussy either way. its not like gloss is unplayable :6:
                    My clips

Originally posted by Rid
                    How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

I had a stock satin finish on my Ibanez neck. Sanded it down to bare wood and oiled it - imho, it plays quite a bit faster and smoother now.

Oiled finish all the way!
                      Ibanez RG 470 Hotrodded w/ OFR, SD FS/JB Jr(b)/DD, 90% of original hardware replaced
                      Jim Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby Hotrodded w/ TB, LED indicator, BC109s, will have sweep range selector and booster circuit
                      Carl Martin Rock Drive
                      ISP Decimator
                      BOSS DD-3
                      Laney LC-15R

My Rig

Comment

Over the 2: Satin, feels faster ato me, and I have the same "stickiness issue" with gloss necks as SD97.

I prefer them completely unfinished, sanded to 2000Grit, and polished with 0000 Steel wool, though
                        Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Satin vs. Gloss

I think satin finish is fastest, but both of my Strats are gloss. I never used to be able to play on gloss, but I've been playing LPs for so long that I just got used to it. I put gloss necks on my Strats so that my guitars would feel consistent instead of one being far smoother than the others.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

ive never had problems with either
                            Originally posted by Aceman
                            It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Neither...I prefer oil finishing, like on my Wolfgang. Fastest, smoothest neck you will ever play...although the lack of a hard finish can sometimes cause stability problems with a neck. Peavey uses a double truss rod and graphite reinforcement to prevent this from happening.

Ryan
                              Originally posted by JOLLY
                              I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Working...
                              X