tube rattle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tube rattle?

A few days ago at practice I noticed my vibrolux had developed a weird Darth Vader hiss when I played certain notes. So last night I took the amp home, plugged in, and had a listen.

It struck me that the noise was a kind of hissy rattle that died after a while, so I thought it was best to check for stuff that wasn't tied down. After checking all the cables and attached parts, I noticed I could get rid of the rattle by touching V1 and V2 (I think it's V1 and V2 -the furthest pre tubes away from the power tubes anyway).

So I removed the spring loaded covers, and that seemed to kill the noise. I did notice that the tubes were still rattling in their sockets when I played, though. Is this common? or are my tube sockets coming loose?

Anything you can relate would be a help. I'm going to gig it tonight and then get it into my repair guy for a look.
    Last edited by Hot _Grits; 07-07-2004, 04:25 PM.
    Originally posted by Jolly
    ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Re: tube rattle?

You sure it is the pre's not the power tubes?

I have had some problems rattling EL84's to death but certainly I've had pre's go microphonic. If you tap the pre's do they make a lot of noise?
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I did the tap test, not microphonic pres. Didn't crank it, either, but I did it at gig volumes.

I checked the power tubes and replaced them with Mesas just to test if they were the culprit, and they aren't. The rattle was still there. Also, the power tubes have those metal tension ring holders heeping them static, which I'm sure helps.

As an aside, the mesas sound great, and I've left them in. I think maybe the GTs were getting old.

Comment

I talked about that problem with Phil Jamison from Matchless once, since I had that problem with only my rectifier tube. He said it's not uncommon for small amps that are run hard. His solution....buy a tube of clear silicon glue and put a stripe around the tube. That substance won't burn, especially on pre or rectifier tubes. Even better, if the silicon makes a little bit of contact with the surrounding metal socket piece. It's possible that your tube sockets are worn, or just need to be braced down better. If you open the amp, maybe you could put a little bit of silicon glue against the base of the female socket, just to make it immune from vibrations.

Sometimes, a weird frequency will come from your speaker on certain notes. I recently learned it's called "cone cry" and can be cured by treating or 'doping' the speaker. Or, just replace it with a newer, more durable model.

If the silicon glue doesn't work, you may just have to replace those sockets or tubes.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Ta for that. I just yanked a couple of pres and the sockets are definitely moving around. I don't have time to open it out, but I'll take a look soon...

Comment

It may sound funny, but i had such problems when my cell lied on my Triamp head....

Comment

Working...
            X