Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StrangeDay
    Thanks, 59 paul.

Guys, I'm working on the guitar right now. What do I do with the wire that has no cover around it? Do I wrap it around the green and ground them both?
    that uncovered wire is called the "drain".. you wrap this around the "hot" (the black) and connect the two on the same prong on the pot

Comment

Interesting.......I always thought the bare was wrapped with green and grounded. First I've heard of the "black" connection.

Comment

Originally posted by McLaughysSN
        that uncovered wire is called the "drain".. you wrap this around the "hot" (the black) and connect the two on the same prong on the pot
        I'm not sure where you get this "drain" term from, but the bare wire of an SD pickup is definitely the shield, or ground. In all SD wiring diagrams, its connected with the green wire.

For example: 2 Humbucker wiring

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
          I'm not sure where you get this "drain" term from, but the bare wire of an SD pickup is definitely the shield, or ground. In all SD wiring diagrams, its connected with the green wire.

ive always used it with the hot with no problems, regardless it basically has no effect on the preformance of the pickup, as long as you ground it or otherwise as to not short anything

Comment

Originally posted by StrangeDay
            Thanks, but do you guys know what happens to the sound if the red and white are grounded? Does this cause noise, damage? I'm going to unsolder them off of the volume pot when I get home, but I'm just curious to know if this causes any damage.
            No damage, but you will have split the pup to single coil mode ... you just turned the green and red (south coil ... adjustable poles) off (if the black is hooked to hot and the green to ground that is, the bare wire ALWAYS goes to ground period. If the green is going to ground also then you can marry them together.
            ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
            ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
            Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by McLaughysSN
              NO, no, and most importantly no. The drain always goes to ground, it does not get coupled to hot in anyway, shape ,or form of the imagination.
              Last edited by Kent S.; 03-24-2004, 12:41 PM.

Comment

The drain wire is called such because it acts as a drain for RFI/EMI picked up noise ... it allows it to drain to ground ... Hence the term. It is connected to the shielding in the conductor, and to the base plate of the pup, and hence always without exception goes to ground. Also Ignore my first reply (the inadvertant coil split) as someone had answered that already, but I didn't catch it in time.
                I'm still not used to this new forum set up.

Comment

Okay,
                  I have the Black to Hot; the Green and Bare to the back of Volume pot (but not twined together); and the Red and White twined and soldered together, but I did not insulate the ends (bare wires sicking out).

After reading everything above, Ive come to the conclusion that I have to:

1: Twine the green and bare together and re-solder to back of volume pot.

2: Insulate the green and white COMPLETELY (which includes the bare tips that were soldered together)

Am I understanding correctly?

Comment

1. solder the green and bare wire to the back of a pot. As long as you solder them properly, it doesn't really matter if they're wrapped around each other.

2. solder the red and white together, then wrap the soldered connection with electrical tape

3. connect the black wire to the hot output.

Ryan
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Artie the term drain is what we "civilian" industrial electronic techs use when talking about the unshielded wire that runs along the foil shielding in a shielded cable that will run to a terminal block.

Jim

Comment

I wired and soldered everything correctly now, thanks to your help. The CC is now in My Telecaster's bridge, and the C-4 is now in my Strat's bridge. You can read my review on the Strat here!
                        Strat Review

Comment

Originally posted by StratDreaminJim
                          Artie the term drain is what we "civilian" industrial electronic techs use when talking about the unshielded wire that runs along the foil shielding in a shielded cable that will run to a terminal block.

Jim
                          Cool . . . thats why I come in here, to learn something new.

In all the years I've been in electronics, I'm only familiar with the term "drain" as it relates to one lead of an FET, and that little hole in the middle of my garage floor.

Artie

Comment

Cool . . . thats why I come in here, to learn something new.

In all the years I've been in electronics, I'm only familiar with the term "drain" as it relates to one lead of an FET, and that little hole in the middle of my garage floor.

Artie
                            Well, in that case i guess this forum is like an open *gate* to a *source* of info, for all your *drain* issues ...
                            Could the joke get any cheesier ... I don't think so ...

Comment

Its my somewhat biased opinion that we've depleted the humor in this discussion.

Comment

Its my somewhat biased opinion that we've depleted the humor in this discussion.
                                I guess that's why they call it self-biasing ...

Comment

Working...
                                X