Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Rectifier Pre vs Triaxis

Hey guys!

What can you tell me about those two? (aside what is on the mesa site). I'm thinking about buying one of the two. As of now my mind is set on the recording pre but i would like to know what your experiences are with one or both (screamingdaisy?? :-) ). By what i red on the mesa site, i would not need all the triaxis features as i really need only a good clean and a distortion... i'm pretty straitfoward for the sound... but if someone had a good point or reason for me to wait a year or so to buy a triaxis i may reconsider (here the pre is around 1500$ and the triaxis 2500$)

thanks!

nik
    Gibson Melody Maker ~ Stock
    PRS Santana SE ~ Stock
    Warmoth SG ~ EMG85b - EMG89n
    Epiphone LP Custom ~ Customb - Jazzn
    Jackson KV3 ~ EMG81b - EMG85n
    MIJ Fender Strat ~ Dimeb - Coolrailsn

Samick Bass
    Ibanez Bass

Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
    VampPRO
    Bass VampPRO
    Peavey TKO 115 Bass amp

Re: Mesa Rectifier Pre vs Triaxis

If all you want is a few channels AND you like the Rectifier sound, go for the Recto Pre. You can get Mark series sounds out of this amp at lower gain settings and it does have surprisingly good clean sounds, but lets face it, it's still a Rectifier.

If you like having a ton of channels and feel the need to change your EQ settings five times a song, get the Triaxis. The Triaxis can almost get the Rectifier sound, but not quite. It has all those great Mark series sounds, but doesn't seem to have the same modern edge as the Rectifier.

Personally, I went for the Recto Pre because I don't need alot of channels (I get all I need with those two channels, the solo mode, my guitars volume knob, and an OD pedal), and the added price of a Triaxis just didn't seem to make sense when the Recto Pre had everything I needed. Plus I love the Rectifier sound.

If you get a Recto Pre, get a 2:100. They're meant for each other. I've seen posts by people who've tried them into 2:90s and Stratagy 500s and they just don't quite sound right. I ran mine into my Mesa 50/50 and it sounded alright, but when I plugged into the 2:100 I knew right away that this was the way it was meant to be.

I can talk all day about it, but it would be easier to answer more specific questions.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Thanks Screamingdaisy.

I was set on the pre but i wanted a little input from people here. i'll check on the 2:100 down the road as a power amp. I will probably be able to buy the pre but no power amp for now. Since my band is on a hyatus until october, i record things on my computer more than i play live so the power amp is not a urgent buy.

and i have a little question, is it possible to connect the pre to a head and use the power section of that amp? Would i have to connect the output of the pre to the return jack on the head of the loop?

thanks!

Nik
      Gibson Melody Maker ~ Stock
      PRS Santana SE ~ Stock
      Warmoth SG ~ EMG85b - EMG89n
      Epiphone LP Custom ~ Customb - Jazzn
      Jackson KV3 ~ EMG81b - EMG85n
      MIJ Fender Strat ~ Dimeb - Coolrailsn

Samick Bass
      Ibanez Bass

Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
      VampPRO
      Bass VampPRO
      Peavey TKO 115 Bass amp

Comment

Connect one of the preamps power amp outs to the effects return of a guitar amp, that way you're bypassing all the tone controls on the head and just slaving strait into the power amp.

One thing I do alot is run one of the recording outs into the effects return of my 1x15 solid state keyboard amp. It's easier to get that power amp crunch at lower volumes (even if it is simulated), and it saves me from wearing out my power amps tubes when playing quiet.
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Working...
        X