No announcement yet.

How are the fender Highway one series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How are the fender Highway one series?

Originally posted by stratsandaks
    I just bought a Highway 1 Strat a couple of weeks ago, I don't really have anything to add except to say that these guys are right on with their comments. It's a keeper.

Currently saving up for some Antiquities to make this guitar really come alive.
    Right on brother...I'm waiting on my pickguard and then Lew is going to put some Surfer Antiquities onto the guard for me...If they are anything like the Texas Hots...(And I Know coming from Lew they are) I'm going to have both a red and blue strat with Antiquities....Very cool..

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
      Right on brother...I'm waiting on my pickguard and then Lew is going to put some Surfer Antiquities onto the guard for me...If they are anything like the Texas Hots...(And I Know coming from Lew they are) I'm going to have both a red and blue strat with Antiquities....Very cool..

John
      Cool, I'm interested in hearing your opinion on the Sufers. I was pretty much sold on the Texas Hots but after hearing Lew talk up the Surfers... I'm not so sure anymore.

Comment

they are pretty nice guitars but they cost about the same as a used american so unless you find a real nice one i would look for a nice used american
        Guitars
        MIA Olypmic white Strat, Warmoth Neck(Brazilian Rosewood)-Fralin Vintage Hots
        MIA Strat '57 RI, Tobacco Sunburst
        Danny Gatton Trib Tele-Barden Rail/Tex Mex
        Agile Al-3000-'59/Seth
        MIJ "Blackie" Strat-Ant Texas Hots

Amps
        70's Fender Super Reverb Head, Blackfaced by Billy Penn
        Fender Deluxe Plus 112

Pedals
        Modded V-847, Sniper GE-7, Boss CH-1, Modded TS-9, Boss SD-1, Boss DS-1, Keeley Blues Driver, Carl Martin Rock Drive.

Comment

Guys...the guitars are wired vintage style with no tone control on the bridge pup. I simply switched one of the wires, now I have tone control on the bridge and none on the middle, which is fine.

I put the Fender Custom Shop 54's in mine because I got a great deal on them.....$80 for the set. Not bad pups at all. I have a baseplate from Callaham I need to put on the bridge pup at some point to see if that will beef it up a bit. Otherwise, I'm going with a set of Antquities and the Hot Bridge.

Awsome, awsome strat. I want to buy annother hwy 1 body to go with the strat neck I just got from brisk.
          My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by stratsandaks
            Cool, I'm interested in hearing your opinion on the Sufers. I was pretty much sold on the Texas Hots but after hearing Lew talk up the Surfers... I'm not so sure anymore.
            John...My gut feeling is that the Texas Hots and Surfers are both great,but just a different flavor maybe? If Lew likes em,I'm sure I will too...OR ELSE IT'S CURTAINS FOR LEW!

John
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
              Guys...the guitars are wired vintage style with no tone control on the bridge pup. I simply switched one of the wires, now I have tone control on the bridge and none on the middle, which is fine.

I put the Fender Custom Shop 54's in mine because I got a great deal on them.....$80 for the set. Not bad pups at all. I have a baseplate from Callaham I need to put on the bridge pup at some point to see if that will beef it up a bit. Otherwise, I'm going with a set of Antquities and the Hot Bridge.

Awsome, awsome strat. I want to buy annother hwy 1 body to go with the strat neck I just got from brisk.
              The CS54s are great pickups...Love em and have used them and the Fat 50s...Actually the fat 50s are still in the neck and middle of my other strat with that cool Fralin SP43 lew sent me...Too many strats,too little time!

Comment

I like the look of this one:

looks awesome to me.

Comment

my friend has one like that but its in a natural finish, nice guitar but I think I want an SSS I mean either all strat or no strat you know what I mean?

Comment

i'm not a single coil fan but i bought the H1 strat after auditioning one at my dealer's, by virtue of its good tone, feel & value for money.

if you read other forums, you'd notice a dichotomised view on the H1 series in general. some like it, others hate it. well, one thing's for sure, you aren't obliged in any way to but one, best if you can try one out personally, then decide.

anyway, the H1 isn't all about cost cutting, if you think it is, you missed the point. IMO the H1 offers what a good guitar/ bass should be, nothing excessive. the 'ups' as far as the H1 strat is concerned, is that thin finish- i know it's a bane to many strat enthusiasts especially when you sport a WWE-type belt buckle while playing one strapped-on. but it lets the pickups breathe through better, the reason i chose the H1 over the Am Series model. the other is the neck- feels very broken in despite being brand new.

the downs IMO is firstly the wiring- no pickup combo is wired to buck the hum. then the bridge pickup itself comes next, (as many had cited) is the weakest link among the trio, tone-wise.

but the H1 is a unique playing experience as correctly related by many pleyers here- it's not a better unit, just different.
                    Psychic Horns

Comment

what about the highway 1 with a humbucker in the bridge?

Comment

Is the Highway 1's body routed only for single coils?

Comment

Originally posted by sonicexplorer
                          Is the Highway 1's body routed only for single coils?
                          Mine is routed H/S/S. The Fender site said at one point they were to be H/S/H. You can at least get a bucker in the bridge. It's nice to have the option.
                          My Sound Clips

Comment

I got a highway 1 strat (red)
                            <---

The only things stock in it is Body, Neck and bridge :P :P

YES the bridge is pickup is weak - i found it unuseable. (The neck and middle pickups are actually VERY decent - but no humcancelling)

YES the paint is thin laqueer and it WILL fall off. I have a whole bunch of dings to bare wood. and a whole chunk 5 cm by 1 cm missing to bare wood at the upper horn after 1 year of having it :P Put it this way if you hit the guitar with the sharp edje of the pick at moderate strength - you got a 3mm chip to bare wood right away :P

The guitar however is resonant and the neck is american standard. You're probably going to wind up modding the hell out of it.

So if you are a modder - i suggest definitely going for it (I got mine off ebay new for 400 USD + shipping) If you are going to keep things stock, I'd suggest a American or even an American Deluxe fat Strat - for mega versatility and good tremolo. (I'm actually really hoping for a Silver Sparkle EC sig. strat, or a Deluxe American Fat Strat). I'll be Warmothing me a SRV monster strat before that though with some Surfer Ants !
                            my youtubes Instagram Medium blog
                            A few original tunes: "The Grand Eclipse" and "Timeless Moments"

Comment

Surfer Ants? -I bet those guys piss the worker ants right off...
                              Originally posted by Jolly
                              ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Lol YA!!! the worker ants are doing work in my strat right now. The surfers will just be surfing. Man i don't think i'm making sense here... I gotta go to sleep dammit !
                                my youtubes Instagram Medium blog
                                A few original tunes: "The Grand Eclipse" and "Timeless Moments"

Comment

Working...
                                X