Covers without potting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covers without potting?

I'm going to cover some humbucker for myself, but I really don't feel like potting them, is the feedback from the lack of potting that bad?

Re: Covers without potting?

Not at all....Just put a piece of masking tape over all of the slugs and make sure you get the cover on the pickup tight...I usually clamp the cover and then solder it..Just clamp the cover snug enough to hold it down but not so tight that it dents the top of the cover and you'll be fine...

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
      Not at all....Just put a piece of masking tape over all of the slugs and make sure you get the cover on the pickup tight...I usually clamp the cover and then solder it..Just clamp the cover snug enough to hold it down but not so tight that it dents the top of the cover and you'll be fine...

John
      Sometimes pictures are worth a 1000 words so here's a link to one of my tutorials that will help you out...

Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I put a peice of masking tape over the slugs of my covered humbucker but I could only do it on the neck humbucker because the bridge humbuckers cover would not come off for anything so I just let it be. its not that big of a problem unless you have your gain high on the distortion channel. but since my stock pups are hot I only use like 4 1/2 gain. no squeal. but if you use high gain then they will squeal when you face the amp.

Comment

Jon, just a quick question. how do you unsolder the wires from pots when you change pickups?

Comment

Originally posted by ledzepp29
            Jon, just a quick question. how do you unsolder the wires from pots when you change pickups?
            Just dig the tip of the soldering iron in between the pot and wire, just long enough to turn the solder wet, then pull the wire out. I hate it when the solder is stubborn and won't melt! Just memorize or draw a little diagram of where your original leads went, then install the new pickups the same way.
            On stock pickups with a black positive and shielded negative, just take the new Duncan pickup, twist and solder the red and white leads together. The Duncan black wire is positive, and the green and plain wire are negative, and you twist and solder those together. They get soldered to the pot body.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by ledzepp29
              I always use some form of heat sink on the opposite end of the heat(Between the terminal and the soldering iron)...I Like hemostats or Radio Shack sells a little clip on heat sink...Better to let the tool take the heat rather than your pot or cap etc...It's just alot safer this way..

John

Comment

Working...
              X