banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What exactly is an MOV...in this following context?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exactly is an MOV...in this following context?

Okay so the komet people sent me instructions on how to convert my komet to 240volt operation, and they talk about changing an MOV in the following quote from their email:

"Remove the 130 Volt MOV on the back of the on/off switch.

Install a 250 Volt type MOV across the on/off switch where the 130 MOV was..

Then solder the Black and Blue wires together, make sure they are well insulated with heat shrink material.
    ( See pic )

Solder the White wire to the left side of the MOV and terminal, solder the Purple wire to the right side."

They have actually made the komet to operate under both american power and 240volts, all it needs is some different wires soldered somewhere and a changed one of these MOV's. My dad is more than qualified to work on electronics so i was going to get him to help me with it and we should be able to do it no worries, and ill learn something at the same time, but i dont know what this MOV is and before i ask my dad i was wondering if anyone could tell me what it is?

Cheers
    My Soundclick page.

Re: What exactly is an MOV...in this following context?

It the MOV the green thing, which i thought was a capacitor, in this pic?
    My Soundclick page.

Comment

It's a metal oxide varistor. Those are used for transient voltage supression aka spikes.
      They are like a heavy duty zener diode, which stops the flow of current in one direction, and stops it in the other direction also, but at specified voltage thresholds.
      Your 240 volt power would blow the original MOV out.
      Last edited by Stevo; 07-09-2004, 08:23 PM.
      My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Mesa uses those in all of their amps also..
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
          Mesa uses those in all of their amps also..
          I thought I recognized that green disk...

Comment

Working...
          X