banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody in CT know of a good place for guitar wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody in CT know of a good place for guitar wiring?

This thread pretty much says it all. My Dean's neck pickup stopped working today and the guy I went to was supposed to have done it "so well". The guy isn't easy to get a hold of and I want to feel like I'm getting better service for the $100 I paid.

So, I'm going to be having my new guitar rewired just about as soon as I get it, so does anyone know of any good/reliable places I can go to that can do complex wiring?
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Re: Anybody in CT know of a good place for guitar wiring?

I don't know, but Weber VST has an amp tech registry for the States. Usually, a good amp tech will know a good guitar tech. Hope that's some help.
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

Yup, your house. Grab a 40 watt soldering iron, a multimeter and a schematic for the wiring your doing. Take it slow and practice on throwaway parts first. Any of the big guys here can talk you thru any problems you might come across. After a while you'll be able to do just about everything yourself and won't have to deal scumbags who overcharge and/or don't take pride in their work.

Sucks about the $100. Small claims court his @ss and then see how fast he's easy to get a hold of.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz6
        Yup, your house. Grab a 40 watt soldering iron, a multimeter and a schematic for the wiring your doing. Take it slow and practice on throwaway parts first. Any of the big guys here can talk you thru any problems you might come across. After a while you'll be able to do just about everything yourself and won't have to deal scumbags who overcharge and/or don't take pride in their work.

Sucks about the $100. Small claims court his @ss and then see how fast he's easy to get a hold of.
        Hi Fritz, the only problem is that doing the kinda of severe wiring I'm looking into will take a very experienced person to be doing. I barely can get a typical Les Paul done right, nevermind coil splits mixed with piezos and mixing coil splits with regular humbuckers and wiring on a 5 way and... (you get the point )

I'm not touching the guitar, I'm going to drive there and get it taken care of. I was nice and gave him plenty of time to do it right. I know he's busy with giving guitar lessons, but in that case he shouldn't have rushed through my job all the more. I will admit that before it stopped working, it didn't hum at all (when I used to do wiring I would get some ground hum, even after triple chicking my wiring). However, the solder couldn't have been on there very well or else it wouldn't have fallen apart so easily (I never even touched it... a few back and forth motions on the toggle made it fall apart )

Looks like I better call around at some local guitar shops in the area and see if there's anyone that could do the job for me. Thanks for the replies
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I live in CT, and I can name a few spots. Where in CT are you located? If you're in the valley area like me, you can go to Banko's in Ansonia. Another good place is Springmeyer's vintage Guitar Restoration in Watertown. Of course, there's always the two guitar centers, three daddy's junky musics, or sam ash... but I wouldn't recommend those guys. They all seem too shady to me. I live in the Waterbury area and I'd trust both Banko's and Springmeyer's with my life.

Banko's is friendlier and have more people working there to service you. The guy who owns that shop let me play his 59 tele (i think it was a 59... it's the butterscotch blonde one). Springmeyer's only has one guy working there who owns the shop, and he made a comment to a friend of mine once saying "come back with money." I don't blame him though cuz my friend is a bit annoying. Anywho, PM me and let me know if this helped. If you live up north or towards Rhode Island, I can try and find other places for you.
          7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

you could go to EAST COAST MUIC MALL and have barry lipman do it if he's good enough for george lynch he's good enough for me !!!!!!!!!!! they do great work in danbury,ct if that helps!!!!!!! see ya !!!!!
            Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
            Suhr OD-50
            Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
              Hi Fritz, the only problem is that doing the kinda of severe wiring I'm looking into will take a very experienced person to be doing. I barely can get a typical Les Paul done right, nevermind coil splits mixed with piezos and mixing coil splits with regular humbuckers and wiring on a 5 way and... (you get the point )

I'm not touching the guitar, I'm going to drive there and get it taken care of. I was nice and gave him plenty of time to do it right. I know he's busy with giving guitar lessons, but in that case he shouldn't have rushed through my job all the more. I will admit that before it stopped working, it didn't hum at all (when I used to do wiring I would get some ground hum, even after triple chicking my wiring). However, the solder couldn't have been on there very well or else it wouldn't have fallen apart so easily (I never even touched it... a few back and forth motions on the toggle made it fall apart )

Looks like I better call around at some local guitar shops in the area and see if there's anyone that could do the job for me. Thanks for the replies
              I hear ya, tracking down wiring problems can drive you to drink! Just make sure to take someone with you as a witness when you go to see this guy. If he gives you the runaround, take him to court. That's what they're there for. Keep us posted. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
              X