JCM800 2203 w/ EL84 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCM800 2203 w/ EL84 ?

I am considering a Marshall JCM800, but will replace the EL34's with EL84's. How would this sound? My plan is to use it as my "cranked-balls-to-the-wall" amp with vintage style guitars (mainly Strats and Teles) and my over-the-top LP copy.
    Last edited by arvid4prez; 07-10-2004, 07:17 PM.
    Vintage Les Paul Copy (SH6b - SH2)
    VHT Pitbull 50/12 2X12"

Re: JCM800 2203 w/ EL84 ?

Originally posted by arvid4prez
    I am considering a Marshall JCM800, but will replace the EL34's with EL84's. How would this sound? My plan is to use it as my "cranked-balls-to-the-wall" amp with vintage style guitars (mainly Strats and Teles) and my over-the-top LP copy.
    Well.. to do that, you can use "Yellow Jacket" sockets. Basicly you plug them on EL34 or 6L6 tube sockets and then plug the EL84 tube on top of that. The EL84s have more pins then 6L6s and EL34s.

EL84s have sweeter highs then EL34s and also less bass then EL34s and 6L6s.

Duke
    www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

I agree with Duke, you will need adapters and be aware that it will CHANGE THE AMP TONE ALOT!!!!!! I think the Yellow Jacket adapters change and amp Class from A/B to A. If you want a Fender tone, why buy the Marshall?

Comment

NOT RECOMMENDED. It will seriously alter the tone of the amp, as well as the wattage. The entire circuit is voiced for a particular tube; why fight against the circuit design for something you won't be happy with?!

My advice is go with a fender or a Peavey Classic series amp with EL84s ...

If you want an absolute EL34 tone monster look into Budda Amps, as well.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I've been running EL84s via Yellow Jackets in my Hiwatt......they seem to work quite nicely!!!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
          Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
          FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
          http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Working...
          X