flat wound strings???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flat wound strings???

what exactly are these all about? whats the difference between flat wound and standard electric guitar strings?

reason im asking is because i have a humbucker in an acoustic and it sounds a little jazz boxy......but its not quite there, and i have a vague feeling that these flat wound strings are used for jazz?........ and if so, will they really make a noticable differnce? and in what way?
    http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
    >cord<
    1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Re: flat wound strings???

I just put a set on my guitar the other day just for poops and giggles. While I don't exactly have a jazz setup guitar-wise and pickup-wise (it's a strat hot-rodded for metal), I noticed a bit of a difference, but I wonder if it's just "feel" or my imagination. I swear it not only feels like playing an upright bass, but kinda sorta has a little bit of that crack and snap. Worth a try, why not?

Comment

There are actually 4 different sting types; ROUNDWOUND, SEMI-ROUND, FLAT WOUND, and COATED. Flat wound strings differ from standard round-wound strings in that the sides are ground down and polished giving them a rectangular look if you were to see a cutaway. This will give you a lot less finger noise and an almost fretless sound. Yes, they are often used by jazzers on big boxes. A friend of mine has (or had) flatwounds on his Fat Strat (11's) and I thought it sounded great for chording as well as really fast runs on the guitar due to the lack of finger noise.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Hey Blue Calx, what exactly is the 'detah metal' listed in your sig??

Comment

One of my Dean Hardtail's has a bright tone. I cured the brightness with a set of Gibson flatwound strings. I say try them, strings are cheap.

Sprinter
          Collings: '08 001-mhsb
          Dean: '02 Hardtail
          Fender: '63 Jazzmaster, '74 Telecaster & '11 American Special Telecaster
          Fender Custom Shop: '16 1962 Custom Telecaster
          Gibson: '78 Les Paul Deluxe & '99 Les Paul Standard
          G&L: '87 Asat, '02 Asat Classic
          Guild: '81 X-79 Skyhawk
          Heritage: '09 H535 25th Anniversary
          PRS: '97 Standard 24 & '99 McCarty

Comment

Hey Blue Calx, what exactly is the 'detah metal' listed in your sig??
            It's a direct WFD quote... must be a brazilian thing

Comment

hey thanks guys...... i think ill try out a set of flat wound strings........ any particular companies make good ones? i found dadarrio and gibson so far......those will be good right?

>cord<
              1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Fender also makes a set of flatwounds, I love flatwounds for their feel and particular sound. They can really cure an overly bright guitar. Ive been using them for about 6 months and im switching to roundwounds on my new g&l to since the guitar is not overly bright. I have a feeling ill be back at flatwounds on my next string change with the g&l though.
                Gypsy, give me your tears. If you will not give them to me, I will take them from you.

Comment

well i will be using them mostly for jazz chording....i have the jazz box sound very close on this guitar....but its just not quite there, need a little more depth and airy-ness to the bass notes

eh, ill try em out

>cord<
                  1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

i use flat wounds on my strats. i like there feal more than round wounds.
                    Down at the edge, close by a river.
                    Close to the edge, round by the corner.
                    Close to the end, down by the corner.
                    Down at the edge, round by the river.

Comment

i have d'adario flat wounds on my tele, it sounds amazing for jazz, these string's arent made for shredding though lol

Comment

Depends on what you consider shredding. I had no problem playing intense picking passages on flatwounds ... The only thing I had troube with was finger tapping and bending, b/c the guage was 11's ...

Comment

ive read about ribbon wound strings......these are essentially flat wound strings arent they?......cause i see daddario has strings called ribbon wound jazz strings.....and they are listed under the flat wound section......so???

>cord<
                          1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

i want to try these flat wounds. seems pretty cool.

Comment

Flatwound strings always sounded dead to me. I don't even like them on a lap steel or reso.

Comment

Working...
                              X