Good stuff to polish frets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good stuff to polish frets?

What do you guys use to polish your frets?

I have this habit of doing a quick polish everytime I change strings and just stepped over from using chrome cleaner paste to this stuff called: Commandant 4, cleaner for weathered paints. Works perfectly and is not as messy as the chrome cleaner paste.
    Last edited by Nightburst; 07-11-2004, 11:55 AM.

Re: Good stuff to polish frets?

You don't need any cleaner. Get some 000 steel wool and buff them out, it's real easy. Pinch the steel wool between your index finger and thumb and go directly over the top of the fret. Make sure you count how many times you go back and forth to buff. You want to do this an equal number on all frets so they are even. I do this on all my guitars. As well as polishing, it helps to even out any perfections in the frets, especially on new guitars.

Comment

Good idea, I'll try the steel wool sometime then.

Comment

If you are going to use steel wool on your frets be carful if you have a maple fingerboard tape off the board befor you buff with the steel wool or you will gragually cut the finish on the board.
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Don't you have to cover your pickups as well so the magnets don't attract bits of steel wool?
          GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
          KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Nah- just be careful when doing the upper frets. Small steel wool "hairs" can really damage a pup. While you're at it, try conditioning your fretboard (rosewood or ebony) with a rag with a few drops of lemon oil on it. Buff it into the wood with the grain. Turn the cloth to a dry spot and wipe it down until the cloth is clean (no yukky black tarnish residue).
            Very Metal.

:firedevil :headbang: :firedevil

ESP Lynch Kamikaze 4
            ESP Lynch Sunburst Tiger
            ESP Lynch Skulls and Snakes
            ESP Lynch Serpent-colored lefty body
            ESP KH-1
            LTD F-207-7 string- custom metal headstock tone block
            BC Rich KKV
            Schecter Omen 7-7 string- SD '59 neck/Custom bridge
            Soldano Series II Super Lead 60

Comment

If you use the Steel Wool, use 0000 ( that's 4 zero's ) !!!! And yes, tape over the pickups with masking tape.
              Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Originally posted by 59paul
                If you use the Steel Wool, use 0000 ( that's 4 zero's ) !!!! And yes, tape over the pickups with masking tape.
                Yes, I feel dumb. Get the lightest grade steel wool (0000!!!). I tape off my fretboard whether it is maple or rosewood. Tape off your pickups as well, those hairs suck!!

Sorry, I was just doing a quick once-over on how to buff frets. BEFORE DOING ANY OF THIS, CONSULT A REPAIR GUIDE OR PROFESSIONAL, not me.

One more thing, always use masking tape. It can leave a residue, so stick it to your pants a couple of times to get some lint on it. This will help prevent any reisdue from being left behind.

Later.
                Last edited by big_black; 07-12-2004, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Brasso

I polish frets with a rag, and Brasso. They shine like new when I'm done. You have to be careful with ebony and rosewood, because the Brasso will go down into the pores of the wood. A little tape on the fretboard will cure that problem.

Sprinter
                  Collings: '08 001-mhsb
                  Dean: '02 Hardtail
                  Fender: '63 Jazzmaster, '74 Telecaster & '11 American Special Telecaster
                  Fender Custom Shop: '16 1962 Custom Telecaster
                  Gibson: '78 Les Paul Deluxe & '99 Les Paul Standard
                  G&L: '87 Asat, '02 Asat Classic
                  Guild: '81 X-79 Skyhawk
                  Heritage: '09 H535 25th Anniversary
                  PRS: '97 Standard 24 & '99 McCarty

Comment

Originally posted by big_black
                    Yes, I feel dumb. Get the lightest grade steel wool (0000!!!). I tape off my fretboard whether it is maple or rosewood. Tape off your pickups as well, those hairs suck!!

Sorry, I was just doing a quick once-over on how to buff frets. BEFORE DOING ANY OF THIS, CONSULT A REPAIR GUIDE OR PROFESSIONAL, not me.

One more thing, always use masking tape. It can leave a residue, so stick it to your pants a couple of times to get some lint on it. This will help prevent any reisdue from being left behind.

Later.

Hey Bro, you're on it !!
                    And,...Don't feel Dumb lol. We all get in a hurry now and then.
                    Good advice from big black here !!! ................................
                    Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Masking tape is good. 0000 steel wool is good. On rosewood or ebony boards, never go across the grain, always up or down, with the grain. Steel wool does a nice job of removing built-up on these boards, as well as the frets. It doesn't take many swipes with the steel wool, and doesn't require much bearing down, either. Dr. Duck's Axwax is a very good board conditioner and polish. You might try that before you go with steel wool. Polishes frets up nicely. There's no wax in it, BTW.

Comment

MICRO FINE 65 FRET POLISHING CLOTH scroll to bottom of page.

Comment

Originally posted by gOgIver
                          MICRO FINE 65 FRET POLISHING CLOTH scroll to bottom of page.
                          I can vouch that they don't work at all!

For a new guitar with slightly oxidised frets, they may work. Other than that, it was a waste of money.

I use Autosol for my frets. Basic metal polish, in paste form instead of being runny like Brasso. I find that the paste tends to be less messy as compared to brasso, and i tape off the fretboard before polishing it.
                          Ibanez RG 470 Hotrodded w/ OFR, SD FS/JB Jr(b)/DD, 90% of original hardware replaced
                          Jim Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby Hotrodded w/ TB, LED indicator, BC109s, will have sweep range selector and booster circuit
                          Carl Martin Rock Drive
                          ISP Decimator
                          BOSS DD-3
                          Laney LC-15R

My Rig

Comment

Working...
                          X