G&L Question for Curly/others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G&L Question for Curly/others

Curly-you mentioned a bit ago, that the G&L's felt better to you. Now aren't there certain years where the G&L's were a bit iffy? I'm looking at a Legacy used for about $450 USD online, year unknown. Any tips?

Thanks,
    D
    Rambler + Tele + Stylish Chords = Heaven!

I'm no expert, but AFAIK there aren't any truly iffy years for G&L. As long as the guitar is in good shape, I woldn't have any problemm paying $450 for a Legacy, no matter what year. Here's a link to another site you may want to check out too:

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/

There are a lot of very knowledgeable people there.

Comment

Some people prefer the older 3 bolt necks on Legacys, while others prefer the newer 4 bolt necks.

I have a 3 bolt one - I think it is the most stable of all my guitar neck joins (except my neck-thru)

I've played both and haven't noticed any difference from this. I don't set up my own guitars either, so don't know about that. The last setup I had done made the Legacy absolutely wicked - what ever they did...

So, er, yeah I agree with garublador

Comment

It seems like all G&L necks feel a little different.
        Get the guy to really tell you everything he can about the neck profile. The only G&L's I don't care for are the strats that don't truly look like a strat....kinda like a chubby looking strat.
        Like Jerry Cantrell's. Don't care for those.

My next guitar will probably be a G&L Z-3 or Classic Tele
        with the fattest gun oil tint neck I can find.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I'm partial to the 3-bolt necks, 'cause I've set up mine before when the micro-tilt helped get the last bit of adjustment needed.

I think G & L went to the 4-bolt necks due to lingering impressions of the 70's 3-bolt Fenders.

that said, the new ones I pick up play just as nicely.

One thing - I have small hands. The standard nut width is 1 5/8". Some players are more comfortable with the 1 11/16" width, like on Fenders.

Joneser's right about the fact that there are a lot of neck options, although most G & L's up till a few years ago were standard orders.

That's another nice thing about the G & L's - you can go to a dealer and custom order one fairly easily by picking a few options, like those gun oil tint necks that joneser likes - they look awesome!

It's kind of like a hot rod shop in that way. G & L's finishes are excellent - their bursts are beautiful, and more consistent than some other companies. (I see a lot of bursts that just look off to me.)

I see plenty of nice used G & L's in the $500 - $650 range, depending on the model and features.
          "music heals"
          facebook

Comment

Working...
          X