Ohms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohms?

I want to get an Avatar 2x12 cab but I don't know what Ohm cab I should get. What is the difference? I have a 5150 that I'll be using it with, so I can select 4,8, and 16 ohms off of the amp. What would you recommend? Thanks!
    -Tom

Epiphone G400 w/Duncan Custom
    Vox VT15
    Washburn D10SCE
    Getsch Electromatic Junior Jet Bass

Re: Ohms?

Someone else, (with more amp experience than me), can comment on the sonic side of this question, but from a strictly electrical point of view, I'ld prefer 16 ohms for two reasons.

16 ohms means lower current. Lower current equates to less heat.

Also, if you want to add a second cab later, in parallel, it drops you to 8 ohms, which is still a nice middle-of-the-road number.

Just my 2-ohms worth.

Comment

You should get the Avatar that has the same impedence as your Peavey cab.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

The 5150 cab is 16 Ohms, I believe, but you should check the back to make sure.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
          Someone else, (with more amp experience than me), can comment on the sonic side of this question, but from a strictly electrical point of view, I'ld prefer 16 ohms for two reasons.

16 ohms means lower current. Lower current equates to less heat.

Also, if you want to add a second cab later, in parallel, it drops you to 8 ohms, which is still a nice middle-of-the-road number.

Just my 2-ohms worth.
          Wouldn't it be the opposite? For example Its safe to have an amp expecting an 8 ohm cab but actually having a 16, or a 4 to 8, but not a 16 to 8 or 8 to 4. Because the voltage has to be dropped to a safe level before it comes into the amp. An 8 ohm amp will have a smaller voltage drop then lets say a 16 ohm.

Comment

If you have taps on your amplifier (4, 8 , and 16) you can match speaker boxes with any of those impedances; so get what you want for other reasons. You want to match in order to get the maximum power. Mismatching will not hurt the amplifier, but will give you less power. (However, in general you should not play an amplifier without any speaker at all; this might damage the output trasnformer, unless it has been designed to handle this, as some are.) If you use two speaker boxes each 8 ohms and connect them in parallel (that is, connect the similar wires of each together, a separate path to each speaker box) use the 4 ohm tap. You could connect two 8s in series (run through one, then the other, and then back to the amp); then use the 16 ohm tap.

Comment

Thanks guys! I think I'm gonna play it safe and order an 8 ohm cab.
              -Tom

Epiphone G400 w/Duncan Custom
              Vox VT15
              Washburn D10SCE
              Getsch Electromatic Junior Jet Bass

Comment

Working...
              X