Tele vs Tele

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tele vs Tele

Hi guys, as I'm suffering major gas at the mo, I'm trying to decide which tele I should get. Either this

or

Discover the sound of Fender, the spirit of rock-n-roll since 1946. Shop Fender guitars, basses, amplifiers, audio equipment, accessories, apparel and more.

Doing a point by point comparison and from the feedback by the board -

1) The CIJ is better crafted (with just a change of pots and electronics maybe)
    2) Better wood (possibly)
    3) Better resale

but

a) Will probably change the pickups
    b) Slightly more expensive (in terms of the NZ dollar)
    c) I'm buying it over the net
    d) Thicker neck (I've got small hands)

With the MIK Lite ash Tele

1) Has abalone dots & Birdseye maple neck (Am I the only one who likes that?)
    2) NZ $100 cheaper
    3) Stock SDs
    4) A friend in America can play it and pick out a nice one

but

a) Thicker finish
    b) Less resale being MIK
    c) Probably cheaper hardware (tuners, bridge, etc)

What's the move? Help me out!
    'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Re: Tele vs Tele

IMHO, the CIJ is the much better Tele. Except for the pickups that is.... The CIJ has Texas Specials in it which are fine pickups but a bit harsh for some people. The Lite Ash has a set of Duncan Alnico II Pros. They sound great; but that's very subjective. There's a Lite Ash Tele at my local GC. It's still new so it actually plays good. I found the body to be very nice and it felt very good. The bridge was very nice. The elecronics, switch, pots, etc, were very cheap though. The neck was awful. Even though it was birdseye maple, it was very cheap. I was even going to trade my MIM 50's Tele in on one. #1, they only offered me $350 for mine and #2, my 50's Tele was so much better than the Lite ash. The CIJ, would be a better buy if it were me buying it.
    -Butch Snyder
    butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Comment

Yeah why not a MIM? Does it have to be produced in the far east! ???
      FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

I love the LOOK of both....I always LOVE a Birdseye maple neck/board. I haven't played the lite ash model, so I can't really say....but I trust Butch's assessment (he's a FINE Tele player!). Hopefully someone that has played one will chime in. I'll be pretty disappointed if they too hate the neck; I was thinking about the lite ash Strat.

I didn't notice....what was the price on the MIJ one?

I had a Tele w/Texas Specials & didn't mind them, but I didn't like them in a Strat...go figure???!!!

I don't know man....It's a little easier to live with the pick-ups than it is to live with a crappy neck, IMHO

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
        Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
        FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
        http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

CIJ all the way. if its not a matter of money then i still would get the cij. but remember try it out first feel is everything next to tone
          http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/mybrokensoulmusic.htm

4yrs of college + 1 B.A. + 40,000 in student loans = 64k per yr job I hate, help me please

Peavey XXX
          Schecter 006 Elite
          SD Invader
          Pro tools

Comment

Go CIJ, Seraphial.

My MIJ fender is killer, I thoroughly recommend them. The neck shouldn't be too enormous, either. If you love the guitar and the neck is a little big, you can always have it reshaped later on.

I saw one of the lite ash teles at the rockshop, and the finishing on the neck was a bit iffy. The logo looked cheap and the nut was poor. Good weight and pickups, though. To me, it was 500 dollars overpriced.
            Originally posted by Jolly
            ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99
              I love the LOOK of both....I always LOVE a Birdseye maple neck/board. I haven't played the lite ash model, so I can't really say....but I trust Butch's assessment (he's a FINE Tele player!). Hopefully someone that has played one will chime in. I'll be pretty disappointed if they too hate the neck; I was thinking about the lite ash Strat.

I didn't notice....what was the price on the MIJ one?
              For me in NZ dollars, the MIK will be around $920 - no tax cause my friend will be bringing it in with him. That's based on getting it for $630 with a case. This MIJ ( http://www.excite.co.jp/world/englis...=JAEN&wb_dis=2 ) will be $930, which comes to $1050 including tax.

Of course, I could just my friend to ship in a American Ash tele which will cost me NZ$1250...

Comment

Originally posted by Seraphial
                For me in NZ dollars, the MIK will be around $920 - no tax cause my friend will be bringing it in with him. That's based on getting it for $630 with a case. This MIJ ( http://www.excite.co.jp/world/englis...=JAEN&wb_dis=2 ) will be $930, which comes to $1050 including tax.

Of course, I could just my friend to ship in a American Ash tele which will cost me NZ$1250...
                I know this could be the never ending story, but if you can save this 200$ then I recomend you to wait (or ask somebody to lend you the money). I know things have to stop somewere but, in your case you are just a step to a fine instrument. It is a good guitar that will least for life. I think it is worth waiting.

EDIT:

I have played a japanish strat and and american tele and, don't get me wrong, japan instruments are very good... for the price. But the american has a different feel, it is a good instrument. There reason to dislike this guitar it is because you don't like the tele concept itself, not because when you play you feel somehow the sound it is not right or something it is missing. Does this make sense?
                Last edited by mongrollo; 07-13-2004, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Have you ever considered building your own? I was looking at Warmoth the other day & saw a nice Birdseye Maple/Maple neck for $168.00 US & an Ash body w/a Birdseye Maple top (strat) for under $200.00 US. So, basically, the neck & body for $400.00 US...add the p/u's & hardware for say $300-400.00 & for $800.00 US, you get a very nice custom job!!!

Carvin also sells a kit that is basically their bolt-on guitar.....everything you need for =/- $400.00 US.

Anyway, good luck.....just a few options for ya' !!!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                  Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                  FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                  http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Not to give you more questions than answers, but.....have you considered the US made Highway 1 tele? Ive got one and its great!
                    Its up to you not to heed the call-up

Comment

Originally posted by dogcityrocker
                      Not to give you more questions than answers, but.....have you considered the US made Highway 1 tele? Ive got one and its great!
                      I have checked out the H1's (from what's available) strat-wise - most are great playing with the odd one out quality wise. I've got my hot-rodded US Strat and they compare favourably. BUT (there's always a but isn't there?) the finish bothers me a bit. I know, I know, it allows the guitar to breathe and resonate more...but....

One thing I'm actually after though is the thinner nut. I've got quite small hands and the only neck that I've ever felt comfortable with was a med V Tokai 54 reissue strat. The thinner nut (though marginal spec wise) really did make a big difference in my playing.

Comment

Hands down, CIJ. Japanes Fenders rival American in sound and craftsmanship IMO.

Comment

Working...
                        X