• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any AC30 Fans?

View and drool...
    Vintage Blonde AC30
    ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Re: Any AC30 Fans?

Ah sweet. But it started at $2K and at the mo its at $4K..
    Marshall JVM 410C
    Mesa Boogie DC-3
    ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
    1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
    2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
    2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
    1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
    2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
    1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

yikes!

those are beautiful!
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

WOW
        My Soundclick page.

Comment

Smirks....I could remember back in the 80's where those amps went for next to nothing.....refrigiators they where called back then, now they are the top of most wanted list....and going for insane amounts of money.
          A few of them where good, the rest where in horrible condition....wax in the tubesockets from the power and output trafo's.....dead caps, totally worn out tubes...lots of rumbling noises and statics.
          Plus they actually plays insanely loud when they work
          Nice amps, but I still think that both Hiwatt and Marshall where better amps, both in design and sound.
          Had a TB from 1967 in almost mintcondition, got me almost 15.000Dkr, I bought it for 3300Dkr......I nearly died laughing!!

Comment

Personally I found the old AC30's the biggest waste of time and whilst it had some certain unique tones it was absolutely useless for proper gigging. I remember that tubes (valves) always needed replacing and I had constant breakdowns with it. In the end I traded it in and got onto my Marshall stacks way back when I was a young guy with muscles to spare!!.

Now before you all start telling me about a certain guitar player called Brian May who uses about 9 of them in his stage rig - let me tell you that he actually had to have all the guts taken out of the amp and re-built to withstand the rigours of road use and also just having a single channel and various other tweaks. I also know some guys who use them at the WWRY shows and they have the same problems with the amps breaking down.

Anyway that price is way over the top for an amp - that will probably blow up the first time you use it properly.
            Normans Guitars

Comment

Yeah they did brake down alot at gigs, played with another guitarist once he had two of those heaters, for every three gigs one of them died
              He ended up with taking out the poweramps, and bought a newer Hiwatt twochannel 50 watts amp, ripped out the preamp, and had everything built to roaduse, just like Keith Scott from Bryan Adams.

Comment

Norman, don't spoil it for us!

haha, you're right, though - they are always a big restoration project. And yeah, they had the reputation for running too hot and blowing trannies.

Still, an AC15 2x12 is one of the best sounding amps I've played through, and very close to the AC30's tone. Beautiful tone, lots of harmonics.
                "music heals"
                facebook

Comment

Well, at least you can thank Vox's reliability (or lack thereof) for bringing the Matchless to prominence.

The guy who started Matchless started by doing repairs on Vox amps guys were using in studios, then ended up building something of his own to counter the failings that the Vox amps had.

Some of the guys who owned the Vox amps he was keeping in working order were the first to adopt Matchless amps.

Comment

Working...
                  X