Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thoughts on the Gibson Les Paul Silverburst

Originally posted by Guitarist
    Another question, if the guitar has "SECOND" engraved into the back of the headstock - I know it means that something of it wasn't at par, but could you give me some ideas on what might set this off? I did notice the guitar was difficult to tune, but I'm not sure if that alone is the reason. I need to know before dropping $1500 for it! Thanks.
    I would not pay $1500 for a factory second.

Comment

Originally posted by mrid
      I would not pay $1500 for a factory second.
      Yeah, but I can get it for $950 with the blessed discount employees get.

Comment

Another question, if the guitar has "SECOND" engraved into the back of the headstock - I know it means that something of it wasn't at par, but could you give me some ideas on what might set this off? I did notice the guitar was difficult to tune, but I'm not sure if that alone is the reason. I need to know before dropping $1500 for it! Thanks.

Seconds are normally guitars that have finish or cosmetic flaws that the builders deemed "imperfect", kind of like buying tires that are "blems". They work fine, and don't have mechanical problems, they just have something that's just not quite right about the way they look; maybe an orange peel finish in one spot or something similar. $1500 is a lot of coin to drop on an instrument, though. Do you like the guitar? If it works for you, then it's worth it. If it doesn't, it's not.
        www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hellion
          Seconds are normally guitars that have finish or cosmetic flaws that the builders deemed "imperfect", kind of like buying tires that are "blems". They work fine, and don't have mechanical problems, they just have something that's just not quite right about the way they look; maybe an orange peel finish in one spot or something similar. $1500 is a lot of coin to drop on an instrument, though. Do you like the guitar? If it works for you, then it's worth it. If it doesn't, it's not.
          Thanks for the clear definition. Well the guitar looks great and plays great as well. Sounds like a keeper...and don't worry about the dough - I can get it a little bit cheaper. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Is it a silverburst that you bought? If so, congrats. They're sort of like problem children, but with the right influence, they can lead a normal productive life! LOL
            www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hellion
              Is it a silverburst that you bought? If so, congrats. They're sort of like problem children, but with the right influence, they can lead a normal productive life! LOL
              Not just yet...I still got some buckaroonies to make. Then the purchase shall take place.

Comment

Very nice on the successful selling of your 79 and the pickup of a Custom LP. Awesome!

But back on topic...so do you believe the 80 models to be better produced? Is there any difference in the way they were made/supplies/etc.? If you know, I'd love to learn.
                During the Norlin era I don`t believe any such year produced a better Les Paul. They varied so much in that finding the right one would be like looking for a needle in a hay stack. Take Zakks holy grail, there is a story about it in Guitar World, on how that one became his number one. Something about the purchaser kept that one out of many because of it`s tone and feel. You are on a better end than I am because you have access to try the guitars you like whereas for me it`s hit or miss due to internet buying. I`m in the mid Pacific with only one dealer.
                57 VOS Les Paul Goldtop
                62 Thin Skin Stratocaster
                Mesa Boogie Lone Star 212
                Baby Taylor
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X