No announcement yet.

the best string cleaner in the world!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the best string cleaner in the world!!!

0000 steel wool. Removes all rust and corrosion. Everything is gone. Better than anything else I've used. I'm dead serious. they feel brand new.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Re: the best string cleaner in the world!!!

Good idea, I wonder why I haven't ever thought of that before. I think I might just run upstairs and try it out.

Comment

Back in the old days (and some of the older guys will know this) we used to boil our strings in water and dry them out. This used to clean them up and also brought some life back into the strings for a while. You could do this maybe 3 or 4 times before the strings became dull and rusty but it was a cheap and effective way particularly if you were on a budget.

Now days strings are so cheap that you don't have to go through all this. The one problem about using the 0000 steel wool is that you will have flakes of strings over the board and entering any open pups so you may just have to wipe down the board and cover the pups when finished.
      Normans Guitars

Comment

Ooooohhhh. ima try it.

Comment

Norm, I used to boil my strings, and it did work. But IMHO this works 10 times better. I've been doing it for awhile, maybe 6 months or so, when I usually need to change my strings ever week. So far I've made a set of acoustic strings go 7 months, and a set of EB 11's go 4 months. Thats a big difference from a week to 7 months. I havnt had a loss of mass or gauge/diamater (checking w/ my digi caliper). I think its the best idea in the world if I do say so myself
          This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Yeah it is a good suggestion and now you got me having to go out and buy some steel wool - another essential item on the growing shopping list. I go through 30-40 sets of strings every year - so every little bit helps. One thing do you just give them a wipe over once and loosen the strings when doing this?
            Normans Guitars

Comment

I leave the strings on, and just thouroughly scrub 'em down. when I'm done, I take a ceramic bar mag from a cheap single coil and run it down the full length of the string slowly.

Comment

Ever tried ScotchBrite pads? Cleans about the same and being synthetic, wont leave steel whiskers on your pickups...I 'll give it a try as I have some handy.

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
                Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
                Celestion speakers
                Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
                Too many pedals....

Comment

Blitz cloth. Although I personally no longer advocate the use of a string cleaner, wiping them down with a rag after playing works wonders. But a bit of metal Polish in the rag canīt hurt
                  Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Butnut, I tried the scotch pads, and while I like them for finishing and other things, it left a green (that was the color I got) layer of shavings all over the guitar, which couldnt be picked up by a mag.

Comment

I just say one thing: French Calvados. It gives a smooth organic sound to my Ernie Ball strings. Works fine for my Strat, but makes no difference with my Gibson. Donīt know why...

Comment

Originally posted by Norman_T
                        Back in the old days (and some of the older guys will know this) we used to boil our strings in water and dry them out. This used to clean them up and also brought some life back into the strings for a while. You could do this maybe 3 or 4 times before the strings became dull and rusty but it was a cheap and effective way particularly if you were on a budget.

Now days strings are so cheap that you don't have to go through all this.
                        Man, you're bringing back memories, I think evryone who read EVH stating that he liked doing that did that ... it worked to, man I'd forgotten about that almost ...
                        ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                        ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                        Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                          Blitz cloth. Although I personally no longer advocate the use of a string cleaner, wiping them down with a rag after playing works wonders. But a bit of metal Polish in the rag canīt hurt
                          Man I love those cloths, I keep a small stash of 'em, you are talking about the psuedo-suede cloths right? I like to use fast fret, It works well for me, lasts forever and doesn't make a mess. It also is super greasy, and does just a bit more than just wiping down with a plain cloth. I swear by fast fret used before and after playing. I like the blitz cloth because it doesn't have any lint, and is really washable ... plus it's the perfect size for the job.I also use the dunlop stuff, but that's because it's in the kit, normally I'll use that after I finish setting up someone else guitar ... you know, to get my grubby finger traces off of it. For day to day, play to play, fast fret ... failing that, like Zerberus stated a plain cloth.
                          Last edited by Kent S.; 07-13-2004, 06:07 AM.
                          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

I just use fast fret before and after I play and replace my strings often. Hehe.

But, that is a nice idea! I may try it.

Comment

never tried it.

the best advice i ever got given was wash your hands first, and dont let any other ppl play it!!!

my ernie balls seem to last me a good 2 or 3 months before they start sounding crap (the brightness dies down a bit after time but it still sounds good) but if i let one of my mates play it he'll kill them in a matter of minutes
                              My clips

Originally posted by Rid
                              How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Working...
                              X