Guitars made of ash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitars made of ash?

I play Fenders made of alder and I've played Les Pauls made of mahogany, but it just occurred to me I've never had an ash guitar. How do they compare? Fender is making several of their popular instruments in ash varieties and Gibson has issued the Voodoo series, which is swamp ash.

Any opinions?
    It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
    - David St. Hubbins

Re: Guitars made of ash?

Mmmm... I'll bring this up again. Why not?
    It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
    - David St. Hubbins

Comment

swamp ash is a lot softer than regular ash, so with that comes the tone difference

but ash itself, well, baseball bats are made of them, i think, so you'll get a pretty bright sound out of them
      Originally posted by gibson175
      metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty
        swamp ash is a lot softer than regular ash, so with that comes the tone difference

but ash itself, well, baseball bats are made of them, i think, so you'll get a pretty bright sound out of them
        I have a hard ash body Tele clone (custom made body fitted to a noname neck) ant he guitar screams. And it's even heavier than my old LP Studio was. But I like the sound. I once had a Squier Standard Tele with agathis body and that was a very good-mannered, even-sounding guitar.
        If it's not clear from what I've said so far, I like the ash tone.
        Gibson Hawk Series guitars rule!

Fave SD pups: Duncan Custom, Alnico II Pro, Pearly Gates, Phat Cats; Nashville Studio and Alnico II Pro for Tele; a Sadducer in my Crafter acoustic.

Comment

Well i refer you too early Edward Van Halen, Roy Buchanon, Jeff Beck and his TeleGib.........

Comment

Ash has a great twangy, snappy sound. As for brightness, my mahogany guitar with a maple cap is brighter than my swamp ash strat.

Here's some clips of Doc Barlo's comparison of swamp ash and alder:

Sound Clips and Playing Tips. Post Your MP3 links here as well as Q/A regarding guitar playing. Recording gear questions posted here.
            This machine kills fascists

Comment

If you were to just switch out strat bodies, you'd probably find that the ash is more defined, brighter and just as smooth as alder. Ash is my favorite strat wood.

Farkus
              2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
              1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Working...
              X