braided shield wire for geetar....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• braided shield wire for geetar....

I'm getting some braided wire in the mail soon. I'm planning on running it from the input jack to the selector switch. Question is...do I connect the shield anywhere? At how many points? Which ones?
    Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
    Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
    Originally posted by Sosomething
    "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Re: braided shield wire for geetar....

the shield gets grounded. tele switch or lp?

Comment

If you must use a shielded wire, then you should ground one end of it to the output jack ground.

Having said that, I think you're wasting time, effort, and money - albeit, small amounts of all three. There's just nothing to be gained by sheilding that small piece of wire. For one thing, for it to be effective, you'ld also need to sheild the entire selector switch. It, after all, has large exposed terminal lugs.

But more importantly, the main sources of noise in a guitar, are the pickups, which must be exposed in order to work.

I really think you're wasting your time.

Comment

Crap.>
        Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.

Comment

on lp style guitars i use braided shield wire to go from the switch to the jack. its probably 12" of wire and the less noise the better. it only takes a few minutes `

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
            If you must use a shielded wire, then you should ground one end of it to the output jack ground.

Having said that, I think you're wasting time, effort, and money - albeit, small amounts of all three. There's just nothing to be gained by sheilding that small piece of wire. For one thing, for it to be effective, you'ld also need to sheild the entire selector switch. It, after all, has large exposed terminal lugs.

But more importantly, the main sources of noise in a guitar, are the pickups, which must be exposed in order to work.

I really think you're wasting your time.
            It's overkill for sure, you ever see the LPs that had shielded wire, and the shield pan ... yeah I think the switch line is shielded (3 way switch ...LP), the LP switch body is grounded, and the back cover has a small piece of shielding foil on it .... that makes sense there ... but under the shield pan? Overkill, but if yours doesn't and it's humbuckers it won't be necessary ... it might help a bit better in a strat, but even then the main source of noise are the pups, and no amount of shielded wire will fix that, now a shielded pickguard/interior does help, and shielding the pups themselves will help ... that's what the LP does. Like Artie said, I don't see those little pieces making a difference.
            ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
            ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
            Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Dunno I never liked the sound of braided shield wire, I like the spiral shield better, the braid sounds muffled while the spiral one is more open.

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
                Dunno I never liked the sound of braided shield wire, I like the spiral shield better, the braid sounds muffled while the spiral one is more open.
                Good point, then again the only thing I use is the shielding that's on the pups conductor (foil shield, and drain).

Comment

Well, darn. Anyone wanna buy some braided wire off me for $5?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
                    on lp style guitars i use braided shield wire to go from the switch to the jack. its probably 12" of wire and the less noise the better. it only takes a few minutes `
                    This is one of those cases where I'ld take Jeremy's advice over mine.
                    If he's gotten good results from doing this, then there must be something to it.

I may need to "experiment" with this a bit, and see what results I get.

Comment

i use some belden braided wire, decent size not sure. in a strat where you are going two or three inches, not a big deal. in a lp type setup it can make a difference, especially if you split the coils. one of my main guitars has lp style controls and i split hte pgb quite a bit. before i used the shielded wire it was noticably noisier, especially in clubs with neon

Comment

Well I do split my coils. I'll give it a shot. What have got to lose right?

So I'm just going to ground it to the input sleeve, or the back of my tone pot with everything else?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
                          i use some belden braided wire, decent size not sure. in a strat where you are going two or three inches, not a big deal. in a lp type setup it can make a difference, especially if you split the coils. one of my main guitars has lp style controls and i split hte pgb quite a bit. before i used the shielded wire it was noticably noisier, especially in clubs with neon
                          This goes back to kinda what I was saying, since the LP shields almost everything, it wouldn't make sense to have 12" of unshielded wire running between two shielded points.

Comment

Originally posted by korovamilkdud
                            Well I do split my coils. I'll give it a shot. What have got to lose right?

So I'm just going to ground it to the input sleeve, or the back of my tone pot with everything else?
                            Well as long as you got the stuff already you might as well use it ... you won't be out anything for sure. Or you could always keep it for other stuff later. That's the beauty of electrical/electronics supplies and components ... sooner or later you use them for something ...

Comment

Well I did it. Not much of a difference, but I can hear a tad less hiss with overdrive. Yay.

Comment

Working...
                              X