extension cabs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extension cabs?

okay, some local shops have the fender hot rod deluxe 1x12, which unfortunately breaks up JUST AT the volume i need it at. However, it is cheaper, a lot of local shops have them in stock so i can get some of them to come down on the price a little, and, it has an extension cab out

what I'm wondering is this - is there any good cheap extension cab for $200 or less that would give it the extra wattage i need? or is it better just to wait another month for the deville
    Originally posted by gibson175
    metal zones are for pussies.

Re: extension cabs?

i forgot to mention, i was thinking maybe a vox pathfinder, or 2 (they seem to be going for pretty cheap on ebay) but they have no tube powersection

so as extension cabs, would it be like 15 all-tube watts, or like 15 solid state watts

Comment

bump, SOMEONE has to have a clue

Comment

damn man, your amp troubles never seem to cease. You have to have a basic understanding of how this stuff works though before you can even begin to know what you're looking for, like when we spoke on aim about the vox tonelab.

Not trying to be an arse mind you

Extension cabinets DO NOT add more wattage to the amp, nor do they have a power source of their own. They are merely blocks of wood with a speaker inside. Your amp has to have an extension speaker output and usually a switch to change the ohmage (ohms). The amp power amp powers the extension speaker and that's why you have to change the ohm rating. I have a 50 watt 1x12 tube amp which I run with another 1x12 peavey extension cab usually (got it on ebay for like $120 and sounds great). When using the combo alone, it's set to 16 ohms, when I use both speakers it's set to 8 ohms. You can damage an amp pretty bad by not doing that, overheating, blowing up, etc. etc can happen. It's basically added another speaker to draw power from without compensating for it by changing the impedance (ohms).

btw, get rid of that crate solid state if you're still looking for something that's going to sound remotely tube. Throwing a pedal or modeler in front of it is not going to solve the problem.

Comment

yeah i know i have a lot of troubles

and i did get rid of the crate

but the deluxe does not have a switch like that, its 8 ohms though

sadly I'm not sure if you answered my question or not, it was about volume, the deulxe starts to break up JUST AS I get it to the volume/presence i need, so i was considering extension cabs

a local shop has a fender dt 412 for about $200, and now i'm considering that, or maybe a dt 112 off ebay for an extension cab, but they have celestions instead of that fender special design kind, so I'm not sure how it'd sound

would either of those do what i need? as in give more volume/presence at a lower volume setting on the amp?

Comment

is it a tube deluxe?

what is sounds like is you need more headroom, higher wattage. if it's tube, you won't ever need any more than 50. I'm not absolutely postive on this, but as you add more speakers, there's a higher draw on the power amp of the amp and it'll make it break up even sooner.

Comment

yes its tube, 40 watts tho, like i said, breaks up JUST as i get it at the volume i need

so am i better off with a 1x12 extension cab? there has to be some way to fix this problem, other than to mic it

Comment

that's odd, what volume are you using it at?

Comment

like 7 or 8

Comment

damn that's pretty loud, yeah it'll breakup. Not sure what to recommend.

Comment

i would think the more speakers he adds......the more the wattage is spread around and it would have more headroom.......cause partially the tubes start get pushed and create the breakup, bu the speakers gettin pounded also are part of the equation

hmmm....
                      http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
                      >cord<
                      1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Originally posted by flank
                        i would think the more speakers he adds......the more the wattage is spread around and it would have more headroom.......cause partially the tubes start get pushed and create the breakup, bu the speakers gettin pounded also are part of the equation

hmmm....
                        I think that's true. The extra speaker would push more air making it a little louder or fuller at least at the same wattage.

Comment

i dunno, i guess i'll hafta go to a shop & try it out

or plug it into my friend's marshall cab, prolly what will happen, i always feel really bad when i crank amps at a shop

Comment

Working...
                          X