G&L Strats - need some quick info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G&L Strats - need some quick info

Ok. I've realized that what I want to make me happy is an alder body with a maple/rosewood neck. That'll be versatile enough for humbuckers and single coils.

I was looking at G&Ls. I know G&L makes good standard looking guitars. The construction has always been very good. There are no flashy flames or quilts, just the way I like it. I'm going to modding the heck out of one for my project (Graph Tech piezo system, H-S-H pickguard w/ Joe Bardens etc.).

Strats are dream modding guitars so I'm looking at a few right now. They're also cheap, which I like .

Here are my questions:

1) are they all equipped with swimming pool routes?. If I want my plan to work, they have to have enough space for 2 humbuckers and a single coil
    2) are the bodies alder?
    3) are the trem systems good? (I'm assuming they're great)
    4) do regular standard strat pickguards fit?
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Re: G&L Strats - need some quick info

Hmm...I have a Legacy but I can only help you with the Trem question...

Yes, the Trems are really good - I think the trem they're most equivalent to is a Wilkinson.

Mine stays in tune really well, and is easy to tune initially too.

Comment

PS - have you checked www.glguitars.com for info on the woods you can get?

Comment

1) I think so, I don't know for sure. I think this is a subject of debate.
        2) depends on the finish. alder is standard, ash is a premium.
        3) yes, they're great
        4) I doubt it. strats have a cantilevered end on the fretboard, legacies are flush on the ends.

I'd suggest checking G & L's site in the FAQ, and the G & L fan site for more info
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

1) Yeah, that's the truth - I've heard that the older ones are not pool-routed, but I've never seen mine naked so I don't know. Forgot to ask the fellow who changed my pickups about it too.

But new ones I've heard are pool routed too.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.
            I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.

Comment

On the web site, there is a factory tour from 97. In that tour you can see that pool routes were being used on the Legacy and Fullerton Models while individual routing was used on an ASAT Special seen in the pics. I believe that all strat style pickguarded guitars come with pool routes at least post 97 made ones.
              Gypsy, give me your tears. If you will not give them to me, I will take them from you.

Comment

Chris, I think the type of guitar you'd be happiest with is a strat shaped H-S-S with a standard bridge, alder/rosewood or maplecap/mahogany/rosewood.

The G&L Deluxes (without pickguards), Tom Andersons, Suhrs, Grosh Bent Tops are all guitars that cover all the bases. I'd forget about all the Parkers, Godins etc.
                Get one of those good boutique guitars, then play it so much it becomes a part of you.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

You guys have the right idea. Thanks bvc310 for the info. I'm looking at a pretty cheap 2004 model Legacy so that should rock

Gearjoneser, what's wrong with the setup I'm looking at currently? The trem supposedly sounds great and keeps in tune. Chandler makes pickguards that will give me the options I want.

Granted, I think a Tom Anderson Drop Top would be a great guitar to have... I think Basswood/Maple body and a Maple/Mahogany combo would do it all.

However, I have also heard that Alder is great for both single coils and humbuckers. Since alder is often done with a solid finish instead of a flame or quilt, it's a lot more affordable too (which means I can play the hell out of it and feel that I deserve it rather than some insane boutique collectors item that I shouldn't be owning at my age )

Gearjoneser, you got me turned onto G&L in the first place (thank you ), and after playing one, I felt they made solid guitars. If the wood combo will work, the extra options won't be too shabby.

I will admit, at this point, I feel anything from Suhr, Melancon, Grosh, Anderson etc. would work great. And yes, I have officially gotten out of the Parker "Flytrap" . I'm not even considering Godin because the quality just isn't there as much as other companies in it's class. Grosh's blend controls are pretty cool, so if I can find a Grosh for a decent price (aka around 1200) I'll probably do it, although I'll probably go G&L instead (considering I can have it modded and everything done for around 1400)

Comment

well, I've seen some Legacies that have a stock HB in the bridge - they're SSH. It seems like the one I remember had a '59 bridge - it was definitely an SD, though.
                    "music heals"
                    facebook

Comment

The only reason I suggested a non pickguard model is because the humbucker tends to sound better direct into wood IMO. The singles always sound good that way, too.
                      The two guitars that have really grabbed my eye are the G&L Legacy Deluxe with a flametop and mahogany back, and the new Fender Deluxe American maple on alder. both with no pickguards and H-S-S. Both can be had for around $1100.

I'm undecided whether I like solid alder or maple/mahogany. Alder is a great sounding wood, but H-S-S guitars in maple/mahogany have a little of that LP growl, which I like.
                      Several months ago, I bought that flamed satin G&L Invader, just to have a timeless looking Floyd guitar. That guitar turned out to be incredible! The neck is a bit thinner than I prefer, but the guitar is just outstanding. The neck is amazing, and it's the fastest playing guitar I've got. I'm starting to really love unfinished/satin guitars.
                      The wood sounds great, and you can clean the whole guitar with a lemon oiled rag.
                      I'm starting to think that paint and finish is the worst thing that ever happened to an electric guitar.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Never really thought about these things. I suppose pickups straight into the wood, would sound superior.

I want to be able to play anything from funk, to a warm jazz type tone, so hopefully a S-S-H combo would work.

I can't help but wonder if pickups can sound great with a pickguard instead of alone... isn't that what Anderson does on their Drop Top models?

I have $2280 in the bank right now, so I'm looking to buy something I'm gonna keep that can get that Les Paul and Strat type tone.

I guess right now I'm really torn on the woods. What's the most versatile? Is it solid alder, mahogany back/maple cap, or basswood/maple cap? Decisons decisions

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
                          Ok.
                          Here are my questions:

1) are they all equipped with swimming pool routes?. If I want my plan to work, they have to have enough space for 2 humbuckers and a single coil
                          2) are the bodies alder?
                          3) are the trem systems good? (I'm assuming they're great)
                          4) do regular standard strat pickguards fit?
                          All of my answers are based on '92 and newer G&L's. The early '80 to '91 Leo era G&L's are different.

1) No, but nearly all '92 and newer G&L strat style guitars have swimming pool routes.

2) The body will be alder, or swamp ash.

3) The tremelo, is the best non locking trem ever made.

4) No. G&L guards are made by Chandler, and you can order direct replacement guards directly from them.

If you have any more G&L questions send me a PM.

Sprinter
                          Collings: '08 001-mhsb
                          Dean: '02 Hardtail
                          Fender: '63 Jazzmaster, '74 Telecaster & '11 American Special Telecaster
                          Fender Custom Shop: '16 1962 Custom Telecaster
                          Gibson: '78 Les Paul Deluxe & '99 Les Paul Standard
                          G&L: '87 Asat, '02 Asat Classic
                          Guild: '81 X-79 Skyhawk
                          Heritage: '09 H535 25th Anniversary
                          PRS: '97 Standard 24 & '99 McCarty

Comment

Mine's a 1991

Thanks for that info Sprinter

Comment

Working...