Question About Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Amps

I'm looking into getting a new amp. I don't want anything huge. So I was looking into the combo amps and I ran across two that appealed to me. One was said to be an "all-tube" combo amp while the other one "simulated" the latest tube technology. What is the difference between an all tube amp and one that is not? Also, it had rectifier seletc:Tube AB1, Tube A, and solid state. What does this mean? I'm clueless into these amp details lol so if anyone could explain, it would be very helpful.

... I'd also like to add that these are the B-52 Stealth Series amps. Any opinion if these amps are good?

Re: Question About Amps

How about some more details? Manufacturer? Model?
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I was jsut wondering in general if B-52 amps are good. BUt to narrow my question down, what is the difference between a solid state amp and a tube amp.

Comment

Solid state and tubes are totally different animals!

Without getting into preferences at the moment:

Solid State amps are amps that are entirely transistorized, and the preamp and amplification circuits are run by integrated circuits, op amps, transistors, and the like.

Tube amplifiers pre-date solid state and do away with the transistors in the audio circuit (and sometimes the power rectcifier as well) and replace it with vacuum tubes, also called valves, that look like beautiful little glass bulbs that glow in the dark.

A Hybrid amplifier uses both tubes and solid state circuitry in an effort to combine the best of both worlds.

Most guitar players feel that tubes have a more pleasing tone, greater warmth, and a natural bloom that you can't get with SS .... I happen to agree with them.

Hope that helps!
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Tubes can have nicer tones, depending on what you want. A lot of players find them very natural sounding, but also extremely aggressive or heavenly cleans and what not. Solid State amps tend to have looser distortion and are all around crap in my opinion except for some cleans. The cleans on my Randall 100SC are amazing! Best on a solid state combo in my price range (up to $1000).
          • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
          • G&L Tribute Comanche
          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Working...
          X