No announcement yet.

Wood density to Tonal Characteristics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood density to Tonal Characteristics?

What is the typical correlation between the density of the wood to how bright or dark the guitar sounds, typically.

Re: Wood density to Tonal Characteristics?

I think if the wood is denser, the tone tends to be darker. Take a look at mahogany bodies. Mahogany darkens up a guitar, and is also heavy and dense whereas maple guitars are lighter, but also brighter.
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Then please explain why maple and ebony are so bright, as they´re MUCH denser than Mahogany. Dense does not necessarily mean heavy, btw. I´ve seen maple bodies that are lighter than mahogany like you say, but maple itself tends to be heavier than Mahogany

Unfortunately, there isn´t really a rule of thumb here, because too many other factors come into play, such as natural oils, how dry the wood is, which tree was it, etc
      Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Ah, I was wondering because my Schecter is made out of swamp ash with a maple cap and I think now they are being made with mahogony and a maple cap. So I'm wondering how some of the newer ones sound.

Comment

Zerberous is right on, Harder, less porous woods are known to be bright, and fast attack. maple, hard ash, ebony etc..

mahogany is porous which would mean LESS dense, and that's why it has a more mellow tone. The porous woods are said to have more of a smoother, softer tone. basswood is also porous.

Comment

probably those pores allow for more reverberation and therefore some treble loss (like little air pockets in the wood working something like little tone chambers)
            Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
              Then please explain why maple and ebony are so bright, as they´re MUCH denser than Mahogany. Dense does not necessarily mean heavy, btw.
              denser does mean heavier at the same size. density is weight per volume
              2006 Gibson Custom '58 Reissue Les Paul

1991 Orville Les Paul Custom

2009 Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster 50s

Comment

Most of this discussion explains the reason why many guitar makers use either medium density wood for their bodies, like alder, ash, or poplar, while others tend to mate hardwood like maple with softer wood like mahogany. It usually boils down to finding a nice tonal balance. I'm just amazed that there's a lot of different woods out there, yet guitar builders tend to use only 5 or 6 types. I guess we've found which woods are the 'tone woods'. Another thing that gets me is how much difference there can be between two types of the SAME wood. What makes Honduran mahogany and Brazilian Rosewood so desireable? Crazy.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by bryvincent
                  denser does mean heavier at the same size. density is weight per volume
                  In Physics: Yes. When talking in a "luthiers sense", dense usually refers to close grained woods, at least that´s the way we use it over here

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I'm with Zerb. When I think of "Dense" I dont think of a heavy piece of wood, I think of a closed, tight grained slab of lumber. Same as in roofing, pine is refered to as being "dense" because of its closed, tight grain, but it dosnt weigh alot.
                    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

okay i get it. you're using "dense" as an adjective to describe types of wood. kinda confusing when you're talking about being dense and weight at the same time
                      2006 Gibson Custom '58 Reissue Les Paul

1991 Orville Les Paul Custom

2009 Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster 50s

Comment

Originally posted by bryvincent
                        okay i get it. you're using "dense" as an adjective to describe types of wood. kinda confusing when you're talking about being dense and weight at the same time
                        Where would we be without confusion? The world would be so boring

Comment

I always thought dense just meant stupid? LOL
                          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I've always wondered why more companies don't use zebrawood, lacewood, spalted maple and all the other beautiful woods as caps over mahogany? Seems like boutique guitar companies would do this more often.
                            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Here's what I've learned from experience and from bugging luthiers over the years.

Heavier (ergo denser) woods tend to sound brighter and harder through the midrange than lighter, less dense woods. Basically, here's what happens:

A guitar string, when plucked, will ring out with a full complement of the frequencies it is capable of. Once plucked, the string then interacts with the guitar, and the wood and hardware of the guitar will allow some frequencies to resonate and will stop others from resonating, depending on what the guitar is built from.

So why do heavy guitars sound bright and light guitars sound warm?

-Denser woods 'sound brighter' because high frequencies resonate with greater ease than lower frequencies, which have trouble negotiating through the dense wood. As a result, guitars that use a lot of dense wood only really help high frequencies get through.

Contrastingly, lower frequencies are damped less by woods that are less dense, hence 'warmer' tone.

Of course, some willl ask 'what about Les Pauls?' -well, the answer there is that the maple top is offset with a very thick mahogany back and neck with a rosewood fingerboard. That helps even out the tonal spectrum. Don't forget that humbuckers and the shorter scale length help round out the tone, too. It's also worth noting that Les Pauls without Maple caps sound fatter, and that the best Les Pauls (standards from 58-60) were made from very light honduras mahogany.
                              Originally posted by Jolly
                              ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Working...
                              X