banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do I need to be able to record onto my computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I need to be able to record onto my computer?

I wanna start making clips and be able to record, and I need to know what I need to be able to do this. I don't need the top of the line expensive stuff just stuff that sounds good and will get the job done. I would like to make clips of my new amp and pickups when I get them so I need the equipment to do that. You will also need to explain what each thing does because I'm clueless. I hear alot about a line6 guitar port????? what kind of mic do I need and everything else. thanks

Re: What do I need to be able to record onto my computer?

I think you just need a mic that goes into the mic input, and some basic sound input software that comes with the computer. nothing special, but it gets the job done, I guess.
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

You'll need a modelling amp (they're cheap don't worry):

Guitars: electric, acoustic; accessories; and other musical instruments.

Oh thats for direct recording btw...

You can just use a normal mic and put it near your amp but that's not practical because then you can't join in on any events that happen in the forum, tips and clips wise.
      Originally posted by Kanye West
      Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

Look at Cakewalk's software program Guitar Tracks Pro. They just came out with a new version, so the old ones are dirt cheap right now (around $50US). You plug into your computer's mic input. There are tons of effects you can add as well as drum and bass tracks. Very high quality results that you can burn to CD as well.
        Very Metal.

:firedevil :headbang: :firedevil

ESP Lynch Kamikaze 4
        ESP Lynch Sunburst Tiger
        ESP Lynch Skulls and Snakes
        ESP Lynch Serpent-colored lefty body
        ESP KH-1
        LTD F-207-7 string- custom metal headstock tone block
        BC Rich KKV
        Schecter Omen 7-7 string- SD '59 neck/Custom bridge
        Soldano Series II Super Lead 60

Comment

So I could do guitar>amp>mic>computer. or I could just go guitar>computer. I'm guessing micing an amp would be better tone wise. So is the line6 guitar port used as an amp modeler and could be used like this guitar>guitar port>computer. are all of these correct??

Comment

So I could do guitar>amp>mic>computer.
            That would be the bad way, you would have all the background noise, it would sound terrible, and you wouldn't be able to join in forum jams where you put your track over the guitar part. This is the setup I have now, and I'm planning to get a the below setup... read on.

or I could just go guitar>computer.
            This is what most people do. It's the best choice. It's not really [guitar -> computer] but more like [guitar -> pod, v-amp, whatever -> computer]. This digitally records the track onto the computer, not recording the 'live' situation you would otherwise have with the setup mentioned prior.

I'm guessing micing an amp would be better tone wise.
            No, because you're allowing the mic to pickup noises from everywhere, so it'd be just like a bootleg. Recording straight into the computer would be like a studio recording.

So is the line6 guitar port used as an amp modeler and could be used like this guitar>guitar port>computer.
            Yep... [guitar -> pod, v-amp, whatever -> computer]... the Line 6 Guitar Port only costs $100 and has about 20 types of amps.

Mind you, I'm VERY new to this stuff, the guys on this forum have been very helpful to assist me in telling me all about these things.
            If someone is reading this and I've got the info wrong, don't ignore it, please be quick to correct me.

Thanks guys
            Bee
            Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

Oh btw, I missed this:

VERY good thread regarding these compact devices (like the Guitar Port, Pod 2.0, Podxt, Behringer V-Amps, etc.)

Check that out.

Comment

so I could buy a guitar port and a recording software like cakewalk, is that easy to operate and does it alow you to make clips? and I would be set.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it would be.

Bump.

Comment

I just checked out the cakewalk guitar pro 3 and it looked nice except I think the amp modeler that it had would be useless compared to the line 6 guitar port. could someone tell me the cheapest but best software that I could plug into the guitar port with, record multiple tracks like, looped rhythym and play lead over, has bass and drums backing tracks available. and be able to make clips and post them on this site.

Comment

in other words, All guitar port users, what software do use and what can it do???

Comment

maybe guitarport might be your best bet, since it uses similar technology to the POD and it costs something like a hundred bucks. Guitarport is great - the hardware component is just a connection to your computer, with an input for your guitar cable. The big fat dial on it is a volume knob. The software is really what does everything, and it does a lot of stuff. (You can also use it if you own a PODXT, and the PODXT acts like the hardware component).

About the only thing it doesn't do is actually record what you play, which kind of sucks. If you use guitar port to model your amps, you can bring up sound recorder to make quick 60 second tracks. Anything more than that and you'll need real software like Cubase or Cakewalk, etc. I bought the Cakewalk Home Studio instead of GuitarTracks 'cause it was more generalized. I especially didn't need their modeling software since I already have the POD.

In general the quality of recorded track though the guitarport/xtpod is awesome as it's all digital through USB. Another way is to just record through your mic input, although it's probably better to have good sound hardware for this route (top of the line soundblaster or special recording cards like layla, mia, etc.)

The guitarport is probably your best and cheapest bet because I've found that going digital on the connection means you don't have to worry about the quality of your soundcard, or even motherboard hardware (yes, it can affect your setup!). You can also record voice if you can get a mic that actually has a regular unbalanced guitar style input going through guitarport/pod - you can even use the tube preamp simulator to warm it up...

Comment

What do you mean by it doesn't record itself? Don't you need programs like Cakewalk to record anyway?

Comment

when I mean doesn't record by itself, I mean it would be nice if GuitarPort had a rudimentary recorder, but it doesn't. I suppose this is because they figure they can't do a better job than cakewalk etc. but it would be nice to be able to buy guitarport and be able to record yourself without having to limit yourself to 60 seconds stretches or go out and buy an 80 dollar piece of software...

Comment

Ohh ok, I get what you mean! Yeah like some basic software that does the job, and if you want to expand, go out and get Cakewalk... that sorta thing.

But for 99 american it's quite cheap isn't it? Are there any cheaper alternatives UCSDBoy?

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X