The modulation poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The modulation poll

Take a vote on your favorite modulation effect. If you like, share with us all the brand you use, describe it...

And if anyone could tell me what the hell a Ring Modulator is I'd appreciate.
    Phaser
    18.87%
    Flanger
    7.55%
    Ring Modulator (who am I?)
    5.66%
    Vibrato
    1.89%
    Chorus
    39.62%
    Tremolo/Pan
    5.66%
    I no use crazy modulation FX! They CRAZY!
    20.75%
    Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
    Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
    Originally posted by Sosomething
    "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Re: The modulation poll

Holy crap! Somebody voted before I did!
    Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.

Comment

Ringmodulator.
      A ring modulator forms the sum and difference from the frequencies of two signals. If one takes e.g. a sinus oscillation with a frequency of 500Hz and a second sinus oscillation with a frequency of 100Hz, one receives a sinus oscillation with 400Hz (500Hz-100Hz) and one at the exit of a ring modulator with 600Hz (500Hz+100Hz). Thus a ring modulator functions is thus always two signals necessary.

Comment

never use them at all anymore, used to use chorus for a clean sound but not anymore - the chorus clean is kinda cliched to me and id rather have a nice clean clean sound.

again, questions self about why i bought a flextone
        My clips

Originally posted by Rid
        How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Originally posted by korovamilkdud
          Holy crap! Somebody voted before I did!
          haha yeah, used my shred finger
          My clips

Originally posted by Rid
          How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

So hard, but nothing beats a good acoustic chorus! But a good phaser can't be beaten...
            100% Bass player

Comment

I don't have a favourite really, it all depends ... The chorus is probably the most useful and generic enhancement.
              However a ring modulator is technically supposed to be a modulation effect,but I've never figured out why, what it does is it shifts the harmonics of the signal by a a certain amount ... so many hertz. In doing so it shifts the ratios of the harmonics to the fundamental ...example: a 100Hz fundamental will have harmonics at 200Hz., 300Hz., 400Hz., 500Hz., 600Hz., 700Hz., 800Hz., etc. In lesser amplitudes of course. Lets look at just the octaves though ... starting with the fundamental ... 100Hz., 200Hz., 400Hz., 800Hz., etc.
              Now enters the ring modulator, say the shift amount is + 20Hz ...
              what happens ... staring on the shifted fundamental ...
              120Hz., 220Hz., 420Hz., 820Hz. etc.
              What's odd you say, well it should be this ...
              120Hz., 240Hz., 480Hz., 960Hz., etc.
              You see the harmonics are becoming more and more of of tune with the fundamental, and with each other,if the shift is -20 ...
              80, 180, 380, 720, etc. Now you also have the options of mixing the original siganl back in, as well as some units (the old Alesis Quads) giving you the ability to shift up and down simulatenously. The modulation effect comes from the harmonics starting to create beat frequencies with the fundamental and the other harmonics. Robotic like effects on voices and gong/bell like sounds can be obtained in a slightly *trashy* sounding way, strange effect to say the least.
              ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
              ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
              Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
                Ringmodulator.
                A ring modulator forms the sum and difference from the frequencies of two signals. If one takes e.g. a sinus oscillation with a frequency of 500Hz and a second sinus oscillation with a frequency of 100Hz, one receives a sinus oscillation with 400Hz (500Hz-100Hz) and one at the exit of a ring modulator with 600Hz (500Hz+100Hz). Thus a ring modulator functions is thus always two signals necessary.
                Okay Rid, you told them how it does what it does, and I told them what it does ... side bands are odd balls aren't they ...
                ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

But it is endless fun to use with singlecoils
                  And fuzz...hehe

Comment

Can't get over the tone using single coils given the gift of chorus modulation...

Smooth, vibrant, bright, and flumpuous!

Comment

Can't get over the tone using single coils given the gift of chorus modulation...

Smooth, vibrant, bright, and supercalifragilisticexpialidoscious!...to say the least.

Comment

I like my chorus that comes in my Randall. It's quite adjustable, actually, and is great for a nice clean rhythm or lead. Adds some nastiness to distortion too
                        • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                        • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                        • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                        • G&L Tribute Comanche
                        • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                        • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                        • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Sounds like an interesting effect, this ring mod. Not sure how applicable it is, but interesting. Thank you Rid and Kent. I told you I'd appreciate.

Comment

tremelo is always good at the end of a song or when your fading into something like the chorus it kind of produces a jutter effect that sounds real cool. Its great for adding dynamics and build up in a song, also its sounds great with single note soloing for an aptmospheric effect. My fav modulation effect any day.
                            PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
                            1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
                            Blackstar HT-5
                            2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
                            Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

u forgot wah.

Comment

Working...
                              X