Specs On Fender CTS Pots Sucks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specs On Fender CTS Pots Sucks!

Just picked up some Fender CTS pots from Sam Ash to keep stock on here at home...I always measure the actual readings and mark them onto the sides of the pot for future spec references..

Each of the pots except one only measures around 235k...1 measured 260k...The low readings are pretty piss poor in my book...I was really put off by the lower reading pots..If anything,I Like the specs to be over 250k..

Almost makes me want to take some 500k pots and adapt them to at least 250k,though it messes with the taper....

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Re: Specs On Fender CTS Pots Sucks!

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
    Just picked up some Fender CTS pots from Sam Ash to keep stock on here at home...I always measure the actual readings and mark them onto the sides of the pot for future spec references..

Each of the pots except one only measures around 235k...1 measured 260k...The low readings are pretty piss poor in my book...I was really put off by the lower reading pots..If anything,I Like the specs to be over 250k..

Almost makes me want to take some 500k pots and adapt them to at least 250k,though it messes with the taper....

John
    Just so everyone knows, CTS pots are realiable,built well, and have a good mechanical action or *feel* to them, and that's why people like them and speak highly of them (there actual taper is pretty good) ... but they are CTS stock pots ..+/- 20% ... translation ... a 500k pot ... 20% of 500k = 100k ... a 500k pot can be 400k or 600k and be within that tolerance ... crappy. 10% pots are a bit better, and 5% are great ...but I haven't seen 5% but in linear. A 20% 250k pot can be +/- 50k ... 200k to 300k.
    Look into Centralab's Mil-Spec conductive plastic log pots ( I think they are a true log also, I might be wrong on that though )...
    John, something you can try is to take 500k-A pots, and run a resistor from the signal line to ground to bring the load back where you want it, as it loads the system identically (it doesn't effect the taper if wired in a particular way) Ask Barlo about this, that's volume though,as far as tone pots go as long as they are no-load ... well at least your safe there.
    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
      Just so everyone knows, CTS pots are realiable,built well, and have a good mechanical action or *feel* to them, and that's why people like them and speak highly of them (there actual taper is pretty good) ... but they are CTS stock pots ..+/- 20% ... translation ... a 500k pot ... 20% of 500k = 100k ... a 500k pot can be 400k or 600k and be within that tolerance ... crappy. 10% pots are a bit better, and 5% are great ...but I haven't seen 5% but in linear. A 20% 250k pot can be +/- 50k ... 200k to 300k.
      Look into Centralab's Mil-Spec conductive plastic log pots ( I think they are a true log also, I might be wrong on that though )...
      John, something you can try is to take 500k-A pots, and run a resistor from the signal line to ground to bring the load back where you want it, as it loads the system identically (it doesn't effect the taper if wired in a particular way) Ask Barlo about this, that's volume though,as far as tone pots go as long as they are no-load ... well at least your safe there.
      Kent...Without sounding like a know it all...I Know all about the tolerences on pots..I'm also a lover and avid user of the CTS pots for all things you mentioned...The low spec readings I'm seeing suck and it hasn't been the norm for me with the CTS product...Normally the specs on my 250k pots are above 250k...I don't like lower readings because it robs us of our highs...That's all I was saying...The CTS are great quality pots for sure and that's the only reason I use em..I always make my tone pots No Load and that isn't as much of an issue really...

John
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Kent...There's a bunch of tutorial stuff that I did on all of the things you mention over in the vault...I show how to make a 500k pot into a 250k,How to make the No Load tone pot etc..Thanks for the post and great info always....

John

Comment

The Tutorials

Comment

Kent...Without sounding like a know it all...I Know all about the tolerences on pots..I'm also a lover and avid user of the CTS pots for all things you mentioned...The low spec readings I'm seeing suck and it hasn't been the norm for me with the CTS product...Normally the specs on my 250k pots are above 250k...I don't like lower readings because it robs us of our highs...That's all I was saying...The CTS are great quality pots for sure and that's the only reason I use em..I always make my tone pots No Load and that isn't as much of an issue really...

John
            I hear ya, I run computer simulations, plot graphs, and create spreadsheets on tapers, loading curves, transfer characteristics, filter curves, decibel attenuation levels ... ad naseum ...LOL! So I'm right there with you bro ...
            I couldn't remember if it was you, Barlo, or Lew who was deeply invested in such. Cool. ........oh yeah, the pots ...
            I get the impression that even though the pots are only made within certain tolerances that whatever company provides a buying tolerance (if you will), and the company must pick thru them per order, either that or it's luck of the draw per line run and lot during manufacturing. I would think the later in large
            company bulk orders.

Comment

Cool ... I don't have the patience for putting together stuff like that, with me it's the stack of scribbled paper in the floor, and the zip drives laying about the place ... to much stuff to get together in one place ... not that I'm not organized, but ... well you know ... sometimes difficult to put into presentations ...

Comment

Cool ... I don't have the patience for putting together stuff like that, with me it's the stack of scribbled paper in the floor, and the zip drives laying about the place ... to much stuff to get together in one place ... not that I'm not organized, but ... well you know ... sometimes difficult to put into presentations ...
                I hear ya brother...See that's what makes this forum so great..All of the different people kicking in with their knowledge and experiences..There's also alot of talented musicians on the forum..I Like these types of posts alot better than the ones trying to get people banned...That's just wasted energy for me these days..

John

Comment

Working...
                X