replacing tubes, what shud i get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing tubes, what shud i get?

Do certain types of tubes suit certain amps or certain types of music, how do I know which brand or which ones to get? (i.e an el34 sounds warmer suited for high gain I have no idea tho)
    PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
    1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
    Blackstar HT-5
    2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
    Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Re: replacing tubes, what shud i get?

What amp do you have, what tones do you use, and what style of music do you play?
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

PRS santana se into a Holden wasp(NZ made) I think 50watt all valve amp head. For pedals I usually depend on my Marshal Guvnor and Zoom PD01 powerdrive for overdrive/distortion.

I play anything from jazz to hard rock, but mainly rock.

I like an amp to get heavy (marshal crunch)
      but love the warm sound you get from light to moderate overdrive (when the valves start to break up). I want to achieve this sound without turning up the volume too excessive amounts.
      Last edited by Dills; 07-18-2004, 07:05 PM.
      PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
      1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
      Blackstar HT-5
      2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
      Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

I'm a big fan of NOS tubes...but there are a lot of decent production tubes out there as well. Does you're amp use EL34's or 6L6's? This could affect the voicing of what you want to put in the pre-amp.

For 12AX7's and that "Marshall" sound....Mullards or Telefunkens' are hard to beat...but the price is about $80-100 per tube give or take. A much more reasonable alternative is the new Groove Tube 12AX7-M's...supposed to be and exact replica of the Mullards...and are getting very good reviews.

Something that I picked up about 6 months ago that is a great NOS tube is the RFT. It's a german tube that can be had for about $30. The GT-M will cost you round $20 for a comparison.

If you want tighter, with a little more gain...the GT 12AX7-C's are supposed to be great also...in higher gain amps. Just a few choices to get you started.
        My Sound Clips

Comment

EL34's are supposed to have more definition, and tighter low end, while 6L6's are supposed to have balls, and rumbling distortion.
          • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
          • G&L Tribute Comanche
          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Well generally EL24 amps like Marshalls Have a more open loose type sound, think AC/DC, but 6l6's like Mesa have a Tighter more focused sound , Think Metallica.
            Marshall JVM 410C
            Mesa Boogie DC-3
            ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
            1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
            2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
            2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
            1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
            2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
            1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Working...
            X