Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some help for modifications les paul

hi,
    I bought an epiphone les paul. but I 've heard that not all the parts on that kind of guitar are good, so I was thinking of replacing the humbuckers, rewiring the guitar, putting on a bone nut and getting some new tuners. but I 'm kinda new in setting up my guitar so, I can use some opinions about the things I want to change. are there some part that you guys wouldn't change or would change?
    www.myspace.com/rollef
    www.myspace.com/wheredeathlies

Re: some help for modifications les paul

You might wanna think about changing the bridge and control pots, too.

Have fun with the project!

Peace.
    Squier Strat (JB Jr.)
    Peavey Valve King 1x12
    Ibanez PF15CE Acoustic/Electric

Comment

I would put an EMG-AB (Afterburner) in place of a tone control. *Shrugs* I don't really use the tone anyway, but if you don't like that suggestion then that's cool
      • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
      • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
      • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
      • G&L Tribute Comanche
      • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
      • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
      • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

I've done lots of mods to two historic LP's in the last 3 years:

1. Change all four pots to "CTS 500K Audio Taper"
        2. Change out the capacitors for Hovland Musicaps (0.22, 1000V)
        3. Change out the pups to DUNCANS! A good set of SD's will treat you right.

Those are the most funtional mods and don't require too much work to your guitar - they are all electronics related. You should see a big difference with those three.
        Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

I upgraded my pickups, wiring, pots, toggle switch. I also installed Schaller strap locks. I'd recommend having a luthier install the bone nut unless you have experience with that procedure. I've never seen any need to change the bridge or stop tail piece.
          ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

The electronics are the best place to start. Upgrade the pots, the switch, and the pickups, and then wire it according to the star-grounding principal (all grounds soldered to one location.) Strap locks are a must, go with either Schaller or Dunlop. If you really want to go all out, get a Tonepros bridge, locking tuners, and an Earvana nut.

Ryan
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Originally posted by shark
              hi,
              I bought an epiphone les paul. but I 've heard that not all the parts on that kind of guitar are good, so I was thinking of replacing the humbuckers, rewiring the guitar, putting on a bone nut and getting some new tuners. but I 'm kinda new in setting up my guitar so, I can use some opinions about the things I want to change. are there some part that you guys wouldn't change or would change?
              In my Epi LP Standard I replaced the pickups (Custom/PGn), CTS 500k pots (I used .022 Orange Drops, but any good poly cap will work), switch, and tuners (went with Sperzel lockers). I haven't done anything about the nut, bridge or tailpiece, but if I did I'd get a complete Tonepros set for the guitar and have a bone nut installed.
              All the things I listed above made a big difference in how the guitar now performs.

-Bob

Comment

A new bridge could increase sustain and overall make the tone sound better, especially is it's a good replacement bridge.

Peace.
                Squier Strat (JB Jr.)
                Peavey Valve King 1x12
                Ibanez PF15CE Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Definitly swap out the pups for SD's! As far as the rest I wouldn't go too crazy- before long you'll have spent as much as you would if you bought a real Gibson Les Paul! If the "going out of tune" thing is happening, get a set of Sperzel Locking Tuners.
                  Very Metal.

:firedevil :headbang: :firedevil

ESP Lynch Kamikaze 4
                  ESP Lynch Sunburst Tiger
                  ESP Lynch Skulls and Snakes
                  ESP Lynch Serpent-colored lefty body
                  ESP KH-1
                  LTD F-207-7 string- custom metal headstock tone block
                  BC Rich KKV
                  Schecter Omen 7-7 string- SD '59 neck/Custom bridge
                  Soldano Series II Super Lead 60

Comment