Vox Clones that nail "that sound"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox Clones that nail "that sound"?

Lately, I've been gasin' for that chimey Vox tone, but I'm concerned about the reliability of the Vox AC30. So, I'm looking for a clone that can get me as close as possible to that tone. I've got about $1,500 to spend, which probably narrows my options quite a bit.

Re: Vox Clones that nail "that sound"?

I'd spend that dough on a Bogner Shiva head/2-12 cab.

or check out Dr. Z, Gibson Goldtone, Badcat, or THD Flexi
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
      I'd spend that dough on a Bogner Shiva head/2-12 cab.

or check out Dr. Z, Gibson Goldtone, Badcat, or THD Flexi
      Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at the Shiva and Flexi for a long time, I just can't decide!

Comment

Here you go MRID, the answer to your question. Priced right for you as well.

The TopHat Club Royale. I've played A LOT of amps and TopHats stuff is towards the very top of my list. If you want that "class A" chime, this has it in spades. After playing the newer Vox AC-30s... I would have to say this TopHat sounds like the older ones (much better tone). Also, the build on TopHat amps are top notch, so it's something to think about instead of the Shiva or Flexi.

For Vox, I agree with the Goldtone (really liked one I played) and the BadCat out of GJs list. The Shiva kicks bigtime, but I'm not sure it's really class A Vox. That's why I recommend the TopHat Club Royal over it.

Never played any Dr. Z (simply no dealers remotely near me). I've heard really great things about them so if you can find a Class A amp from them, it might be worth looking into. Still, the TopHat will deliver what you're looking for in spades
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Working...
        X