Opinions On Finish For My New Strat Body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions On Finish For My New Strat Body

Ok - here's the deal. Some of you know I just bought an Ash strat body with a really pretty grain. I'm going to have it finished in a translucent blue to show off the grain. My choices are:

$240 + shipping for a poly finish from Roxy Guitars...who does excellent work, including a bunch of stuff for USA Custom Guitars.

$400 including shipping for a nitro cellulose finish from nakedbodyguitars.com, whom Ty at Roxy recommended to me if I wanted the nitro finish.

I know all the supposed +/-'s of each finish....and believe I prefer the nitro finish. Is the difference worth the $150 in your opinion?
    My Sound Clips

Re: Opinions On Finish For My New Strat Body

I'd go with the nitro for it. The grain on that body is beautiful, so get the best you can for her.

Comment

Yeah, nitro all the way.
      This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Is $400 out of line for the nitro, with overnight return shipping.
        My Sound Clips

Comment

I'm sure that you could find cheaper. Butnut or KMC guitars or blueline could probably do it for you much much cheaper.
          This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Personally, I think putting that much money into a $400 strat is a bit much, considering that the end result will be nice, but still not worth $800. IMO I think you should shop around for a cheaper price, or sand it down to bare wood yourself, and stain it a better color. The Nitro finish will breath nicely, but an oil finished stain will be dirt cheap and sound the same. It's your call.
            Or, you could sell the body and buy an already finished KILLER body, and only be outta pocket $200. $400 for the new body minus the money you get from yours.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

GJ - the body is actually raw, and ready to be finished...completely sanded and ready to go. Here's a pic of the

body.http://www.musikraft.com/product.asp...d=116&catid=67

That's why I'm debating the $400 finish. I've got a sweet Fender neck already finished with a dynamite rosewood board with real MOP inlays, ervana nut, that I picked up for $80. I got the body for $125. So call it $225 into the project. I've already got a pickguard wired and ready to go...but will want some new singles. I'll need a bridge and tuning keys.

I figured going into this that I could get the parts I wanted, including the body and neck for $450 or so including pups and hardware, buying on the net and eBay. I know this will never be a guitar that I can sell and get my money out of....more of a...put together the "vintage" type strat that I've always wanted. Then I can hot rod my Hwy 1 a little.

I guess if I'm willing to put $250 into the finish, what's annother $100 or so. The $400 includes shipping, the $250 I'll have to pay shipping on top of that.
              It kinda of sounds like I'm talking myself into the nitro. But for the difference in price, I could pay for the pickups I want to put into it.

I guess I really don't care that much about the extra $100 or so....I guess the real question is will I REALLY be able to tell the difference between nitro and poly?
              My Sound Clips

Comment

Hey Jeff, I was going through my parts today, and I've got some tuners and a bridge. I'm sure they'll work. the tuners are no named sealed tuners. Work great. the bridge is a vintage style 6 point trem. I've got some newer looking saddles that look like the Am Std saddles but shiney, or some of those Squire "vintage" saddles, where they're shaped like a pressed saddle, but are solid. PM me if you want any of this.

Comment

Beandip -

I think on this project I'm going to go top of the line stuff to really make it cool. I can get a Callaham bridge assembly with his fantastic block, springs, arm, saddles, claw..everything complete for $95 bucks. I've also got a set of American Standard saddles laying around that I took of my Hwy 1...already replaced those with Callaham.

It seems that you come across a ton of parts though....if you come across some nice 6 in line locking tuners...sperzel, schaller, grover...whatever (chrome), I'd trade you my Hwy 1 pups for them.
                  My Sound Clips

Comment

Man, I would take you up on that, but I dont use locking tuners and I dont have 'em. I just wind my strings right.

Comment

Hi Jeff -

From everything I've read, Roxy's finish is just as thin as most nitro finishes. Plus it should be more durable. I wouldn't spend $150 extra just to get nitro even though that's what I've used myself.

Frankly, doing a nitro finish right on ash is a giant pain because filling the grain is so difficult. If it isn't done right or allowed to cure long enough, you could start seeing the grain/pores over time. Roxy's polyester/polyurethane approach could actually result in a thinner finish on really porous wood like ash - that's what Bob Taylor uses too BTW and his guitars aren't too shabby.

Hope this helps,

Chip

P.S./disclaimer: I have not used Roxy myself.
                      Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
                      Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
                      Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
                      SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
                      SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
                      "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Chip -

That helps a ton actually. I read nothing but great things about Roxy as well. I guess it's not really the extra expense...I can afford it. It's just hard to not be a cheapskate, or look for a better deal.

One of the guys at the Fender forum suggested this site, so I have an e-mail into him also. His listed prices are around what Roxy charges for poly.

The most authentic, vintage inspired guitars in the world. Located right off Route 66 in middle America!

I'll keep looking around, but if I can't be assured of a pro quality nitro finish at a reasonable price...I'll probably go Roxy.

Hope everything is going well with your daughter....mine fly's out here August 9th for the next 10 months, save 3 holiday weeks with her mom at Thanksgiving, christmas and spring break...I can't wait.
                        My Sound Clips

Comment

Working...
                        X