Need opinions on PA speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need opinions on PA speakers

I need a few PA speakers for both live (acoustic gigs) applications and a home studio setup as monitors.

I can get Sonic Speakers for pretty cheap (about 1/2 of the people I work with are ex Sonic employees). What do you guys think of this one? http://www.sonicspeaker.com/t15.htm I've got a Mackie 1202 VLZ-Pro mixer. No poweramp yet, but it will likely be a Crown or QSC (something lower wattage.. I don't need very much power).

Do you think it would be acceptable to use speakers like that for home computer use as well? (i.e. playing video games, listening to CD's, etc). If I could kill two birds with one stone, and not have to buy seperate computer speakers, it would be awesome.
    -Alex

*Proud Owner and Player of Guage guitars, Warmoth guitars, and Orange amps*

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
    I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Re: Need opinions on PA speakers

Alex -

I've had great luck with Peavy monitors and PA speakers. That's what we used when I played with the guys in Denver. They can be had for a decent price, made in the USA and are really rugged. Nice, transparent tone...

I was told that the Peavy's were almost identical to the higher priced Yamaha's with similar features, but I'm not that schooled on PA stuff. I just know that we got a good deal on the Peavy's, and they worked great.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

yeah, peavey's have a reputation for bulletproofness

my last band had carvin gear and it was also stellar .. for $800, you could have two powered speakers with 15" drivers and horns (free shipping these days too + i bet you could get them to throw in the cables) ... with your mackie, you'd be ready to play out

but it'd be overkill for computer speakers

good luck
      t4d
      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
        Alex -

I've had great luck with Peavy monitors and PA speakers. That's what we used when I played with the guys in Denver. They can be had for a decent price, made in the USA and are really rugged. Nice, transparent tone...

I was told that the Peavy's were almost identical to the higher priced Yamaha's with similar features, but I'm not that schooled on PA stuff. I just know that we got a good deal on the Peavy's, and they worked great.
        Thanks Jeff.. that's definately good to hear. We just happen to have a set of 4 Peavey TLM monitors at our shop. I was looking at 'em, but was unsure. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll definately have to check 'em out.

I'm not really TOO concerned with overkill on the computer speakers.. just mainly worried if they'd do the job. (I can live with larger speakers if it'll save me $60 ).

Thanks guys!
        -Alex

*Proud Owner and Player of Guage guitars, Warmoth guitars, and Orange amps*

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
        I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Comment

I've had a lot of luck with Peavey, JBL and Eden mains. They're just really decent equipment. Peavey stuff is indestructible.
          www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Working...
          X