banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about buying a THD Flexi...opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about buying a THD Flexi...opinions?

I think I've finally found the amp for me, and it's the Flexi. Has anyone tried this amp?

Re: Thinking about buying a THD Flexi...opinions?

www.thegearpage.net/board - find a user called Ed DeGenaro, he's the THD Development and Support guy. There's also a bunch of users on that board that own them.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I played through one at the winter NAMM show this year, great sounding amp, plenty of volume and punch, two channel - both excellent sounding, swapping tubes out isn't as easy as with a Bi-valve, you'll need to rebias (done easily with test ports on the amp) if you swap tubes, but like the Bi-valve you can use different types of tubes in combination with one another, great sounding amp. I've owned a uni and a bi-valve - both have their good points but I think the Flexi is the best sounding of the amps THD is making (although the univalve with a NOS Mullard EL34 is one awesome sounding amp).

Comment

I had one - awsome amp. I just sold it because I bought an EMGL for heavier music, but that Flexi was a little vintage sounding monster with a lot of [i]Flexi{/i}bility and you can run just about any tube combo you want. Its built like a tank too.

Check out www.univalve.net forums for further and Ed is there all the time too.

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
          www.thegearpage.net/board - find a user called Ed DeGenaro, he's the THD Development and Support guy. There's also a bunch of users on that board that own them.
          Ed DeGenaro is also on the harmony central amp forum a lot, and there are lots and lots of threads about the flexi on it. Most, if not all, were very favorable. I can't wait to try one of those myself...
          "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

TattooedCarrot-

How heavy can the Flexi get? Does it sound like a Plexi with the right tubes? I'm basically looking for something like a Plexi, but with a touch more gain potential and more flexibility.

Comment

Definately more flexibility as far as tone goes, but it won't get very heavy without some help from a pedal.

Comment

go to the Flexi chat area at www.univalve.net and check out the sound clips guys have posted, lots of good stuff to listen to.

Comment

I played on one, plugged into a Genz Benz G Flex 4-12. Just like Tattoed Carrot says.
                  It's like a 2 channel Marshall. A big, fat, gainy plexi tone. A tad loose on the low end for my taste, which is why he stated it's very vintage sounding and needs an OD pedal to get serious gain. Since you've not been happy with some past amp purchases, I really think you should make sure you can spend some time with that amp and also check out a Shiva as well. If you hear the Shiva, you'll buy it.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I'm seriously interested in a flexi, but none have appeared down here yet. Anyone tried one with 6l6s fitted?
                    Originally posted by Jolly
                    ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Working...
                    X