Ibanez Tube Screamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez Tube Screamer

I've heard a lot about this pedal. Can someone tell me what it does exactly? Thinking about picking one up to enhance my lead sound a bit, but I'm not sure if I want it. What does this do for your sound? Are there different variations, and if so which are good?

Re: Ibanez Tube Screamer

I use the TS9 RI. I have this plugged in to a '69 Super Reverb. In essence it makes my Super Channel swicthing. I get a real nice sustain with it, and it is not to harsh. I do not like to use to many effects. I use this so I can keep the volume under control. If I could play louder I probably would not need a pedal at all. Prior to the TS9 I used a Boss Super OD. Also a good pedal, but the TS9 is more natural sounding IMO. I am currently shopping to see if I can find a used one. Once I locate this I will send it to Stratdeluxe97 to be modded. Several other people on this forum have had there Pedal modded by John, and have had nothing but great things to say about the work he has done. I just don't want to send mine without having a backup, and it will be pretty cool to compare them side by side after the mod is done. Haven't found a used one yet.
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

The Tube Screamer is an overdrive pedal. Overdrive pedals add an extra gain stage to your sound. Some people use them as a clean boost for solos, but I have had varying degrees of success doing this. It doesn't add distortion, more of a smooth growl to your tone, and you can adjust how much saturation it has. When you add it to an amp that is mildly distorted, you get a smooth, thick distortion sound with lots of sustain. On a full distorted amp, you get a LOT of sustain and distortion, but with noise. I set my amp's gain to 5 and then add a healthy amount of OD ... I like the smoothness and added harmonic complexity you get.

You can hear clips of my rig at www.twilight-odyssey.com.
      Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 07-21-2004, 09:33 AM.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I use an unmodded TS7, and it works great...love the additional gain provided by the hot switch. Cheaper than the TS9 too, but more versatile...go figure.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

talk to stratdeluxer, he's the guru of the tubescreamer

Comment

Working...
          X