banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Couple more questions about finishing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple more questions about finishing...

after each coat of finish put on, do i have to lay down any clear lacquer? Also, if I were to do some simple designs (lines/shapes) would i lay down the background color, then lay down the design, then the clear laquer? thanks

Re: Couple more questions about finishing...

Contact Stewmacs site and / or ring them up. If I remember correctly, their catalogue has the sequences you require.

Comment

Originally posted by HolyDirt
      after each coat of finish put on, do i have to lay down any clear lacquer? Also, if I were to do some simple designs (lines/shapes) would i lay down the background color, then lay down the design, then the clear laquer? thanks
      After each coat of lacquer you must let it dry/cure for around 3 days.
      Then you wet sand the orange peel smooth. Use a sanding block ( a
      Seymour Duncan PuP case works ) repeat process untill you have
      a few coats on. Now assuming you wanna do a EVH design?? Make sure the
      paint is cured ,and get the right masking tape for the job ( I think the 3M
      blue painters tape may be what you want ?) Tapeout your design and spray
      as light as you can. Cuz' you don't want a thick edge line. Again let the
      paint dry B4 you take the tape off. Now your ready for clear coat.
      Spray heavy to build up the hard line left from the tape. Again wet sand
      between each coat of clear. Go very easy at 1st Cuz' you don't want to
      sand thru your design
      http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Ok, so after each coat of the color finish, I dont need to put a clear coat? After I've built up the coats to where their opaque (I'm doing a solid finish), then I add the clear coat? Can you guys give me a list of all the stuff I should tape off? thanks

Comment

I think I want to paint the guitar like this:

will this be difficult?

Comment

I don't think you'd have to tape off much.. maybe just the neck pocket? Not sure at all though, let someone else chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars
              After each coat of lacquer you must let it dry/cure for around 3 days.
              Then you wet sand the orange peel smooth. Use a sanding block ( a
              Seymour Duncan PuP case works ) repeat process untill you have
              a few coats on. Now assuming you wanna do a EVH design?? Make sure the
              paint is cured ,and get the right masking tape for the job ( I think the 3M
              blue painters tape may be what you want ?) Tapeout your design and spray
              as light as you can. Cuz' you don't want a thick edge line. Again let the
              paint dry B4 you take the tape off. Now your ready for clear coat.
              Spray heavy to build up the hard line left from the tape. Again wet sand
              between each coat of clear. Go very easy at 1st Cuz' you don't want to
              sand thru your design
              3 days between coats? What are you calling a coat? I've found that three passes = one coat. I will lay down one coat, let dry ~ 3 hours, apply a second coat, let dry ~ 3 hours, third coat, let cure, time depending on humidity and temperature, but sometimes up to 3 days, and then, depending on the finish, lay down more coats.
              Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

bump

Comment

That is a cakewalk to paint. First, I'd spray a black streak down the center of the guitar using an airbrush (I use Iwata), then spray an intercoat clear (something like HOK SG-100 Intercoat Clear) over the black, then tape in the stripes as you wish, then spray the red paint with a gun or airbrush and remove the tape. Then use a real topcoat clear, sand and buff as needed.
                  MY MUSIC

When the going get's tough I get a machinegun.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS
                    3 days between coats? What are you calling a coat? I've found that three passes = one coat. I will lay down one coat, let dry ~ 3 hours, apply a second coat, let dry ~ 3 hours, third coat, let cure, time depending on humidity and temperature, but sometimes up to 3 days, and then, depending on the finish, lay down more coats.
                    YUP ! That's my take on Bill Lesters rule of three's. There's a lot of
                    variable's as to how you mix the paint (thick or thin) and Humidity always
                    plays a part. 3 coats of nitro mixed and sprayed lightly, could maybe Fully
                    be curred in a few hours ??? But I perfer to wait a few days B4 wetsanding.
                    Also he wants to tape a pattern on it. You want that paint good and dry
                    B4 you put tape on a new finish
                    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Working...
                    X