banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any difference between single and double-cut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any difference between single and double-cut?

hi guys!

i am just wondering if there's a significant difference in tone and sustain between a single and double cut-guitar if all variables remains the same. i.e. the same woods, construction, hardware etc.

i faintly recalled reading somewhere that double-cut guitars actually lose out on low-end response and a tad of sustain as opposed to single-cuts.

any tone gurus to clarify this?

cheers!
    dani
    the mind is willing, but the flesh is weak...

Re: any difference between single and double-cut?

I think singlecut designed guitars have a better energy transfer between the body and neck, since the upper bout extends into the neck further. Another thing I've noticed is that double cutaway guitars like LP Junior doublecuts and Gibson LP doublecuts look small on a person. Nobody wants a guitar that makes them look like a giant holding a toothpick. I think that's why they've never been as popular as single cutaways.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Gearjoneser pretty much cleared it all up. Joe, is that your lastes "Gear Ho" score? Sure is mighty nice.
      This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
        I think singlecut designed guitars have a better energy transfer between the body and neck, since the upper bout extends into the neck further. Another thing I've noticed is that double cutaway guitars like LP Junior doublecuts and Gibson LP doublecuts look small on a person. Nobody wants a guitar that makes them look like a giant holding a toothpick. I think that's why they've never been as popular as single cutaways.
        i reckon that is true since it has more wood contact between the body and neck. in all fairness, what difference does a strat and tele make if all hardware, pickups and woods are the same? is there a purpose for the upper horn tonally?
        the mind is willing, but the flesh is weak...

Comment

I have a '75 SG Standard that sustains better than my '76 Custom. Sustain is relative to resonance and gain. Eric Clapton himself said that when he switched to Fenders from Gibsons, he noticed a significant drop in sustain (Guitar Player interview, unsure of the year, but could find it if needed). None of my Fenders sustain all that well in spite of my best efforts to improve that characteristic.
          www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

i think that double cut away looks bigger than single cut away because the strat button is more closer to the guitar.
            Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

The horn on the strat is there for aesthetic purposes and any tonal difference is purely coincidental. To my knowledge, though, if there is a tonal difference, it is so small and insignificant that you won't hear it.

Comment

I'm not too sure about the whole "energy transfer" thing...probaby has a lot more to do with set-necks vs. bolt-ons & trem/bridge vs. string-thru-body/fixed bridge or TOM/STP.
                Last edited by PUCKBOY99; 07-23-2004, 08:36 AM.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

doesn't seem to be that much more wood touching the neck, although I would assume every little bit helps. I think the balls from a tele vs a strat has a lot more to do with how the bridge pickup is mounted and the bridge design (there's more wood sitting because there's no trem cavity than there is on the horn)

anywho, that's my 2 cents, for what it's worth...

Comment

Originally posted by Hellion
                    I have a '75 SG Standard that sustains better than my '76 Custom. Sustain is relative to resonance and gain. Eric Clapton himself said that when he switched to Fenders from Gibsons, he noticed a significant drop in sustain (Guitar Player interview, unsure of the year, but could find it if needed). None of my Fenders sustain all that well in spite of my best efforts to improve that characteristic.

Did Clapton reverse wrap his strings through the tailpiece and shave the neck of the guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by theboatcandream
                      Did Clapton reverse wrap his strings through the tailpiece and shave the neck of the guitar?

I've no idea.
                      www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Working...
                      X