what 's the difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what 's the difference?

I just got the surprice of my life: I went to a shop to buy an epiphone les paul standard a few days ago, but I don't have the guitar yet cuz it wasn't there in the right colour, so the people there gave me some sort of ticket.
    now, this morning I read the ticket for the first time, but the ticket said that I 've bought a epiphone les paul standard plus. can anyone tell me the difference between those guitars cuz I 've been looking on the net for differences but can't seem to find any difference?
    www.myspace.com/rollef
    www.myspace.com/wheredeathlies

Re: what 's the difference?

Epiphone LP Standard

Epiphone LP Standard PLUS

Verdict:
    • The choice of finshes.
    • The LP Std PLUS has a FLAMED top.

Originally posted by Kanye West
    Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

is that all?
      I was expecting a tonal difference or so.
      I find it very lame to put a different model on the market just cuz it's got a different finish.
      www.myspace.com/rollef

Comment

why? Fender does it all the time. And the Flamed top means that more than likely is a top and not a veneer, so you'll be closer to that LP tone. But, finish has alot to do with it also, as it can choke the guitar of it's tone, or allow it to roam free. I think the biggest difference between the two is that the Standard Plus could have much better playability.
        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

I didn't know that. I just thought a colour is something to make a guitar more beautiful, without any influence on the tone. thx for the info
          www.myspace.com/rollef

Comment

As long as they charge you the same price for an LP standard - then I think you might have got a better deal. Just make sure that is what you wanted and try out the guitar before taking it home, use other guitars for comparison and if it does not suit don't take it.
            Normans Guitars

Comment

color usually has no influence on tone, it's the finish that the color is that does, if that makes any sense. I'll explain by saying that I have two strat bodies, identical in every way except for finish. One is Black Nitrocelulose Laquer, the other is Polyurithane. Now, many say that nitro is better because it is softer and more flexible, allowing the finish to move with the body, and therefore allowing it to breath. Poly on the other hand, is alot like plastic, and can dampen tone. Alot of times it dosnt, but it can, like on low end Epi's and Squires. Luckily you got a good one, so the finish should only be a little factor in the equation. There are other advantages to finishes. Nitro chips and wears away easier, for folks who like the "relic" look (as I do), but poly could withstand a nuke attack.
              This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

I think your getting through to me ,so colour is irrelevant just the finish counts.
                It seems that they haven't charged me more for the guitar, so I think I got a good deal
                what a nice way to start your day I 'd say
                www.myspace.com/rollef

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
                  the Flamed top means that more than likely is a top and not a veneer

Not a single epiphone les paul standard has a maple top. They all have alder tops. Some have maple veneers.

The only epiphone guitars with maple tops are a percentage of the les paul custom flametops, and of course the elitist line.

Comment

the "plus" has been a gibson thing for a while. all it means is that you get a figured top. the epi lp does have a real maple top, its just thin. not gonna effect tone much but its nice to look at. other than the look there is NO DIFFERENCE between those two guitars. they will sound and play the same

poly finishes are like a candy coating, nice to look at but not so great for the tone. the thinner the finish the better but any guitar with a poly finish will be more resonant without it. will you notice this difference? maybe, maybe not. how good are your ears?
                    a nitro or hand rubbed finish is usually considered the best because they are breathe-able and usually thin

Comment

Originally posted by shark
                      so colour is irrelevant just the finish counts.

That's not 100% accurate, but it's a good general rule of thumb. White guitars, regardless of finish, have more coats of paint on them than any other colour ... this robs tone.
                      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
                        That's not 100% accurate, but it's a good general rule of thumb. White guitars, regardless of finish, have more coats of paint on them than any other colour ... this robs tone.
                        aww crap. there goes my white guitar Black hardware idea.
                        My clips

Originally posted by Rid
                        How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Heh ... like Lifeson's strat from the 80's? White body, black pickguard and electronics, black Floyd .. ebony fingerboard ...

Sounded horrible! lol
                          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
                          X