Zvex Nano Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zvex Nano Head

Anybody tried this. It's a half watt head (tiny). It's about the size of a pedal and is supposed to get great saturated tube tone at low volume through a 4x12 cabinet with greenbacks. I'm intrigued for recording and practicing at home full volume without the cops coming by.

Here's a link to thier site: http://zvexamps.com/
    GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
    KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Re: Zvex Nano Head

I've been thinking about getting one for a few months now. It would work well in my basement studio when the kiddies are sleeping. The old 50 watt plexi isn't getting the same workout these days now that there are little ones running around the house. I have owned several ZVex pedals and the quality and workmanship is excellent and I'd expect the same from the Nano amp. It's gotten great reviews in Guitar Player magazine and on HC. It might be time to look for a good deal on a used one.
    (2) Randall RM4 preamps, VHT 2502 Power amp, 2 2x12 Bogner cabs w/V30's and Lead 80's, '74 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop, '89 Gibson Les Paul Cherryburst, '93 Stratocaster, and a bunch of other stuff.

Comment

Have you seen this demo. It's a video. Go to the last link. Extra Nano with AC/RC.

Talk about pedal envy!!!!

Parker Nitefly SSH

Bad Cat Mini Cat

KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

I played one at Rudy's in Manhattan. It's a cool little thing, but I didn't like the sound better than the 1.5w amp in my Engl preamp, both going straight into a Marshall 1922 2x12 cab.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I found it pretty limited tonally, but if you like cranked Marshalls then it might work well for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelsey
            I found it pretty limited tonally, but if you like cranked Marshalls then it might work well for you.
            I'm looking for a cranked Marshall tone but at lower volumes, so I'll give it a try. Thanks. On their site they have some decent clean sounds, not Fender Clean but decent.

Parker Nitefly SSH

Bad Cat Mini Cat

KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
              I played one at Rudy's in Manhattan. It's a cool little thing, but I didn't like the sound better than the 1.5w amp in my Engl preamp, both going straight into a Marshall 1922 2x12 cab.
              What model Engl is that and how much does it cost? Can you use it for direct recording? Thanks

Parker Nitefly SSH

Bad Cat Mini Cat

KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Originally posted by Mkf411
                What model Engl is that and how much does it cost? Can you use it for direct recording? Thanks
                The model is the 580. The headphone output has a switch. One way it will power headphones (loudly!!!); the other way, it can go straight out to a cabinet.

It has line outs and an FX loop for direct recording as well. I much prefer mic'ing a cab, so I couldn't tell you how it sounds.
                Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Don't let that little thing fool you, it gets pretty damn loud. Sounds kinda like a plexi. kinda. neat little toy though, if you've got the money.
                  Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

Comment

Originally posted by Byakhee00
                    Don't let that little thing fool you, it gets pretty damn loud. Sounds kinda like a plexi. kinda. neat little toy though, if you've got the money.
                    That's what I'm starting to think. Last night I couldn't even crank the master volume beyond half of my Vox Valvetronix 1x12 on the one watt setting. That's one watt of solid state power, so I'm thinking a 1/2 watt of tube power cranked will still be a bit much for apartment level.

I almost bought a Soldano Atomic 1x12 combo on Ebay for $495. Luckily someone used buy it now option while I was thinking about it. They are supposed to sound good a low volumes. But I really should try one before buying one.

Parker Nitefly SSH

Bad Cat Mini Cat

KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

as far as i am concerned you can't go wrong with a soldano. I have one and love mine, but i wonder what it will be like in an apartment in a couple months.
                      Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by mrfjones
                        as far as i am concerned you can't go wrong with a soldano. I have one and love mine, but i wonder what it will be like in an apartment in a couple months.
                        Too loud probably. I think the Atomic 1x12 is 16 watts. Which model do you have?
                        Last edited by Mkf411; 07-23-2004, 11:36 AM.

Parker Nitefly SSH

Bad Cat Mini Cat

KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

I've seen them, but never plugged into it. For that kinda money, it seems like more of a luxury toy than a useful tool. I'd buy a Vox Tonelab before I'd buy a Z.Vex amp.
                          Love their pedals, tho.
                          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Mkf411
                            Too loud probably. I think the Atomic 1x12 is 16 watts. Which model do you have?

mine is the astroverb which is 20 watts but sounds good even at low volumes. so we will see if i can keep it quiet enough
                            Last edited by mrfjones; 07-23-2004, 11:55 PM. Reason: i can't type
                            Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Working...
                            X