Amp Problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Problems...

My Peavey Classic 50/212 is starting to make a really strange sound. It sounds like a muffled hum that's kind of mid-pitched. No matter what channel I use. No matter if the guitar's volume is down. It still hums like that. I can tap the amp with my hand and it stops for a bit then comes back. I have had the amp for over a year now. It still has the original tubes in it. I'm thinking that I have a tube or two or three is about to go. I can tap the area on the back of the amp where the tubes are and the hum becomes more prevelent or goes away.

Do you guys think it might be the tubes?
    -Butch Snyder
    butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Re: Amp Problems...

It could be something as simple as a wire brushing against the driver ...
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

If it were the tubes, when you tapped you would have heard yourself tapping through the amp. most tubes get microphonic on their way out.

It is most likely what twilight said. From my digital electronics class, and personal experience it is the moving parts that tend to give out.

Comment

Well, I took the back cover off which exposed the PC board. I started tapping and the hum was coming from the preamp section. I decided to take the preamp tubes out and they turned out to be my JJ tubes. I replaced them with the cheap originals. The hum went away. Then I decided to take one cheap tube out and replace it with a JJ. I did this until all the JJ's were back in. There was no hum. My belief is that maybe the preamp tubes became unproperly seated.
        -Butch Snyder
        butchsnyder.com

Comment

Bump....

Anyone else??
          -Butch Snyder
          butchsnyder.com

Comment

You're a gigging player, so don't use an amp with tubes over a year old, unless you wanna stand onstage with your weiner in your hand, one night! LOL

Click on the revolutionguitar link in my signature, since they're the best for cheapest, and order a full set of JJ's, or whatever Todd recommends to you. You'll pay less, and have your new tubes within a couple days. He's a friend of mine, and you'll have an easy transaction with him. If those tubes are over a year old, they're close to dead, especially on an amp that gets used as much as yours. You'll notice a big difference when you pop the new ones in.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
            X