String suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String suggestion

hey guys. I just need some help finding some new strings. I've always used Elixirs, but i've always preferred the tone i get from Ernie B's. I stopped using EB's because they corrode within 3 to 4 days. I wash my hands, clean my strings, condition my strings, all that stuff, still it corrodes quickly. With Elixirs, I can push at least 2 months out of them, which I'm happy with, but the tone leaves a lot to be desired.

So any suggestions as to what strings will last a while but have a great tone? Thanx a lot!

Re: String suggestion

I too like EB. I've been using GHS Boomers on one of my axes lately with good results. I think they're a tad brighter than the EBs, but they last longer too.

Then again, I can get a month or more out of EBs. For some reason strings never rust on me (unless I let someone else play them, in which case I can see rust by morning).
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I am not certain how "other" strings are constructed, but D'Adarrio EXP strings have a anti corrosion coating on them. I have tried these strings and they do last a long time. I use the "regular" D'adarrio XL115's with excellent results and plenty of life. I keep my electric guitars in the case when I am not playing them which I believe helps keep them in good condition. What I did not Like about the EXP is they felt odd under my fingers. Seiing that I get very long life out of the regular strings I did not see a need to change. YOu might give these a try and see if it helps. What kind of humidity do you have to contend with? Humidity over 50% will cause the strings to break down much quicker. Get a Humdity meter and keep it near your guitars for a few days. This might be the problem.
      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I've found the D'Addario EXL strings to be the best priced,best sounding,and most consistent strings out of the many I've tryed...I also wipe down my strings alot and use either Dr Stringfellow's string cleaner or GHS Fast Fret..I don't go through strings that quickly with erosion though so I'm lucky...

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
        X