banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tricks to cleaning a maple fingerboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tricks to cleaning a maple fingerboard?

I have a great GMW strat with an unfinished maple neck and fingerboard. Anyone have any suggestions to clean it? I have been putting a splash of Simple Green in some water and wiping it off then immediately drying it off. I have seen people lightly sand them but that is usually when they really get nasty. I am trying to avoid having that happen.
    MY MUSIC

When the going get's tough I get a machinegun.

Re: Any tricks to cleaning a maple fingerboard?

Lemon Oil and a sock. On unfinished, if you don't like the worn-in look, try steel wool.
    I'd be hesitant to use industrial grade cleaners like Simple green, only because some may dry out the wood too much, or weaken the frets.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
      Lemon Oil and a sock. On unfinished, if you don't like the worn-in look, try steel wool.
      I'd be hesitant to use industrial grade cleaners like Simple green, only because some may dry out the wood too much, or weaken the frets.
      BTW, when talking steel wool and guitars, always assume grade 0000 unless otherwise stated
      Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Thanks guys. I have some Dr. Stringfellow Lem-Oil fretboard conditioner... will that work? Will this change the color of the board at all? I think I used this stuff on another unfinished maple board and it made it appear quite a bit darker... that was years ago and I can't really remember.
        MY MUSIC

When the going get's tough I get a machinegun.

Comment

Working...
        X