No announcement yet.

Mesa vs. Rivera... which amp to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mesa vs. Rivera... which amp to buy?

About Rivera vs. Mesa. They are both different type of amps so I can't say that one would be better than the other. They are great in there way. Have said that I am a Rivera fan, I never payed any attention to them until I owned one. I bought a Suprema 55 and it was by far one of the best amps I have ever owned. It has a great distortion tone not as heavy as a recto but capable of doing different styles. The clean was as expected, super clean and clear.....I think that my next Rivera will be a Fandango......
    Gear:
    Gauge Custom Guitars Double Cutaway
    1988 Strat (copy)
    Voodoo AmpsV-Plex 100w
    Voodoo amps 20:20 and 50:50 cables
    Bob Burt Custom CabinetsCustom 2x12 cab

For Sale:

Comment

Metalman,

Both are great amps. But both are stadium/national touring act amps. Unless you happen to live in a hockey arena or are one of the very few 16 year olds out there that are currently touring 1000 seat plus venues, both are pretty much overkill.

Try a 50w mesa, rivera or marshall amp.

If pressed for my opinion, I'd go for a rivera. Very verstaile, very well made. More importantly, won't disappear in the mix like a mesa recto will.
      Originally posted by Jolly
      ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666
        When you say focused, damp, dark sound, what exactly do you mean? And if the Rivera's so versatile, can it get recto tones?
        Here are my interpretations of the sonic terms I used:
        Focused: Very tight sounding, especially in the bass. Little to no overhang. A pleasing, forward-sounding tone. A lot of natural tube compression.

Dark: Not pronounced in the top end; not characterized by a bright tone.

Can you get a recto sound from the Rivera? Not in my experience. The tube rectofier is what gives Mesa, VHT, and other amps their sound.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

how about trying a single rectifier? 50 watts is more than enough man, and if you really wnat that extra channel go duel recto. triple si way too much unless your gonan play stadiums,
          Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Originally posted by inter
            Hey Twilight,
            Very cool tunes on your website. Tell me the truth, your singer is really Michael Sweet from Stryper ?
            I'm a huge fan of Stryper. Their whole 'meassge thing' is a bit much but their music is fantastic.
            I'm a big Stryper fan myself; thanx for the compliments!! They dropped the overt Christian message with the album "Against the Law". As for Pam actually being Michael Sweet ... hmmm ...
            blonde hair ... check
            high singing voice ... check
            love of leather and 80's metal ... check

YOU MAY BE RIGHT!!

Comment

I'm in the same league as metal man, deciding between high-gain amps (lot's of topics about this lately I love it!) and I'm looking at a 2nd hand Rivera knucklehead 55 I can get for cheap or a Single rectifier new.(not cheap)

Both are very different voiced amps but I wonder how both would hold up if things got very extremely heavy. By listening to soundclips I'd say the KR-55 has a Marshall voicing going on which I consider on the trebly side. I hope I'm wrong about that.

Would the knucklehead only get heavy with the sub woofer cabinets or will it deliver with a normal 4x12 with v30 speakers?

Is the difference in tone between tube and silicon rectifiers big? I heard someone mentioning the 2 rectifier tubes is what gives a Mesa it's Mesa sound.
              Others are saying the only difference between a single rectifier and dual is the extra channel. This is not true guys, there are more differences than that.
              Last edited by Nightburst; 08-03-2004, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
                I'm a big Stryper fan myself; thanx for the compliments!! They dropped the overt Christian message with the album "Against the Law". As for Pam actually being Michael Sweet ... hmmm ...
                blonde hair ... check
                high singing voice ... check
                love of leather and 80's metal ... check

YOU MAY BE RIGHT!!

Lol, I think Michael has brown hair, so might your singer (you might have to check her collars and cuffs ). Your singer seems to have pretty strong vocals and good vibrato control on high notes.

I went out and grabbed 'Against the law' as soon as it was released. I didn't really care for Michael's new vocal style. I'm more a fan of their older stuff like 'in god we trust'. Luv the way he wails on that tune, especially the section just before the chorus, always gives me cold blood.

You guys should have a crack at a stryper cover at the end of your show, your singer has the range. Having said that, you'd probably alienate most of the kids in the audience when they hear anything with 'god' in it' .

Comment

Originally posted by inter
                  Lol, I think Michael has brown hair, so might your singer (you might have to check her collars and cuffs ). Your singer seems to have pretty strong vocals and good vibrato control on high notes.

I went out and grabbed 'Against the law' as soon as it was released. I didn't really care for Michael's new vocal style. I'm more a fan of their older stuff like 'in god we trust'. Luv the way he wails on that tune, especially the section just before the chorus, always gives me cold blood.

You guys should have a crack at a stryper cover at the end of your show, your singer has the range. Having said that, you'd probably alienate most of the kids in the audience when they hear anything with 'god' in it' .
                  LOL ... It's funny you mention that b/c in one song we have this gang vocal chant (The Endless Days of a Stranger) that says 'Destroy All Evil", and the audience is always thrown off by that ... they're like, "COOL! DE-STOY ALL ... waitaminute! Destroy all evil?! That's a positive message! D'arrrgh!"

Comment

Working...
                  X