No announcement yet.

should i do this? go from 10's to 11's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should i do this? go from 10's to 11's?

alright, the 10's on my les paul are feeling a little "light" so ithink i may change the guage to 11's. should i do this?
    the exact gauge would be 11-52

should i do this, i notice it soudns much better on the 10's as i can put much more "push" in the strings. if it sounds good and feels good then i'll put 10's on my charvels.

should i do this?

Re: should i do this? go from 10's to 11's?

In time, your fingers get accostomed to the thicker guages.

At that point, you start using your ear to judge your strings, not your hand.

The bigger gauge you go, the more boingy they sound, so at that point... it's all up to you!!!

I like 'em big personally, piano strings would be nice...

Comment

haha

i dont know about piano strings, but yuor thinking and thats good!

Comment

Sure, go for it. If you have extra money, experiment with string gauges and brands. But, who has extra money? I think you'll probably stick to 11's after you use them. I remember when I loved using 10's, but then I played so much that I developed a lot of finger strength, and overbent my strings all the time, stuff like that.

Comment

im probably gonna end up getting the same brand but i may try DR. i've heard good things about DR so i'll look around. but im most likely gonna get ernie ball's again, they been so good to me over the years

Comment

I went from 10s to 11s and I'm not looking back! I did use the tailstop wrap around method. You should try this! The 11s don't feel much different than the 10s but have much more volume.

Comment

everything I've heard or read says that for tone, the bigger the string, the better ... of course, players end up playing what's comfortable in the long run

I mostly play strats, and when I pick up a Les paul with 10s, it feels spongy, and I tend to overbend.

I think LPs come setup with 10s, but a lot of players switch to 11s. If you switch, check your intonation and setup heights as you may need some small adjustments. You may need a slight turn on the truss rod as well to compensate for the added tension - just a bit, though.

I believe Gibsons come from the factory with pure nickel strings. That's what I use on 'em, whether it's EB 'classics', DR, or others. Actually, I prefer EBs too, but I do experiment with different guitars sometimes to find the right string.
              "music heals"
              facebook

Comment

well what i do is find the heaviest gauge i cant quite bend on, and go down a guage...

its ended up 10s with a high action on all my electrics with the exception of my RG since that would play havoc with the trem.

raise your action a bit first - you'll notice your guitar gets a lot louder and pinch harmonics become effortless
                My clips

Originally posted by Rid
                How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

I tried to go from 10-46 to 11-48 on my Wolfgang once, and I just couldn't do it. It might work well on a short scale guitar with a tuneomatic bridge, but I do way too much bending to move up to anything heavier than 10's.

Ryan
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

hmm...

looks like the 11's should work well on the les paul, but i've used pretty much every gauge of string on this guitar and never needed to adjust the trussrod. i guess i'll out sometime soon and get a couple packs of 11's.
                    thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X