Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any 5150 / Strat users here?

Hi,

I recieved a 5150 block letter EVH head for an engagement present a few months ago. Life has been fun so far banging out head-thumpin' bone crushin' metal rhythms and leads on the lead channel (it rocks). However, the cleans leave much to be desired. (This was using an Ibanez S-540 w/ Dimarzios)

I was thinking about buying a Fender Stratocaster to play a bit of jazz and blues. Is there anyone out there that can comment on a strat/5150 setup as far as cleans go? I don't want to buy a strat only to find that I have to shell out for Fender amplifier to get that pristine clean sound.

NB: I know it is impossible to get a Fender clean sound without buying a fender amplifier, but has anyone come remotely close to getting a classic fender twang out of a strat/5150 combo?

PS: I've tried a couple of guitars on the 5150's clean channel, namely the Ibanez s540 mentioned earlier and a Kramer Stagemaster (S-S-H) and both kinda suck for cleans.

Re: Any 5150 / Strat users here?

Hmmm...well, I don't think that the 5150 was really designed to do what you're asking.

But, that aside, I did use one with a Strat for a couple of years. The cleans I could get out of it were always pretty dark, but I actually preferred that to the sound of most new Fender amps. The only problem with using the strat with the 5150 for cleans is if you're going to be giging with it and switching channels. The EQ has to be tinkered with to sound good when switching channels on that amp...if I EQ'd a nice clean, the distortion was all mud. But if you're not playing live, yes you can EQ the amp to have cool cleans, IMHO, but sadly without spring reverb (thanks Peavey ).

How did I solve my problem? Check my sig...now have a Marshall for distortion (but only because the EVH blew up-literally-and I replaced it with the Marshall) and the Fender HRDlx for cleans. Works great.

Good luck!

Farkus
    2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
    1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

I used a 5150 & Ibanez SA160QM (w/ DiMarzio's) combo. The cleans on it are really not too great. Usable, but nothing special. If you put JJ/Tesla tubes in it, I think you'll get the most out of your cleans, but it's no Fender. I don't think buying a Fender guitar will help too much with the cleans.

You'll probably end up having to buy another amp for clean duties.
      Watch My Videos
      Photography
      www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
      "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

Try an eq pedal too, that will allow you to have different eq settings for clean and dirty.
        "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I don't own the head version, but I do have a 5150 Combo. I've actually been experimenting with getting clean tones out of the amp and have been fairly successful. I've gotten decent cleans with a Les Paul, Tele, and a 3 single coil guitar that's not a Strat. I've disengaged the crunch button and rolled the pre-gain back till I'm satisfied. I'm not looking for pristine cleans and like a little dirt, so I've found some workable tones. Personally, I've gotten better cleans than I originally thought possible. Some sort of reverb with the amp would be helpful also. Good luck and don't give up till you've really spent the time tweaking.
          Not a 5150 Kramer, but a 5149 1/2 Shamer
          www.bigmouthbetty.com

Comment

My 5150 is the block EVH head version, JJ tubes from Bob at www.eurotubes.com with the 5150 cab and I play a strat through it.

I pretty much agree with Farkus on this, unfortunatley the 5150 will never give you super sparkly, open back combo type, cleans. BUT, I'd still say yes to picking up a strat, because none of my superstrat type guitars gives me that twang of a 250k pot fender strat. The character of a strat can still be heard via the 5150, especially if you play at lower volumes. It's when you play at peformance levels that it's limitations become apparent.

It's amazing that Kyuss Rock just chimed with the EQ pedal idea, it works reasonably well. I set my little boss GE-7 EQ with the bass and mid frequencies cut fairly heavily. But this is really nothing more than a 'band aid' approach. If you gig, this creates it's own problems when you switch channels. You have to do the 'two foot channel switch' dance.

It's a hard one. I think most people (even guitar gods like Satch) have this kinda problem and there is no easy solution. You could sell the 5150 for something like the new peavey JSX (Satch' s model) which apparently combines the best of the peavey classic 50 and 5150/XXX in one unit.

If you decide on getting a nice opened back tube combo, I'd look for a used peavey classic 50 or 30 combo. If your in the US, You can get them for amazing prices compared to Australia. To give you an idea, I sold my classic 50 4x10 combo for $900AUS dollars which when you do the currency conversion your looking at $675US. How many US guys would pay $675 for a used peavey classic 50 4x10 combo ha, not many I bet.

In hindsight, I was looking at the 5150 through rose coloured glasses. I don't play alot of clean stuff, but the old saying stands true that you don't know what you've got till it's gone and my strat has never forgiven me.

I'm now looking for a cheap classic 50/30 and an a/b switch.

Comment

I have the combo version. Get some JJ6L6's. Use the rhythm channel low gain input, bright switch engaged and crunch switch disengaged. Set the pre gain at 4 or lower and crank the post gain to 7.
              If you want some smoky bluesy gain engage the crunch switch and roll off the guitar volume to clean it up when needed.
              ---RCM78

Comment

Note that he said the 5150 was an engagement present. Not a good idea to sell it for something else if you ask me.

OK here's my take on gear in general.

I've always used gear that wasn't really meant for the sounds I was going for. Why? Because it gives me a different tone for what people expect from certain things. Most people associate the 5150 with high gain rock/metal. I've used it 'clean' for a while now, and it doesn't sound like anything else I'm hearing from other players. It's not Fender or Mashall like. Or Mesa Boogie. I actually had a guy not too long ago compliment my sound and said he didn't think the 5150 would be a good choice for what I was doing, but changed his mind once he heard it. Face it, a Strat though a Fender is gonna have a certain tone. A tone not unlike a million other players. I say get the Strat and start tweaking. Experiment with tubes, EQ, and get a reverb. Roll off the volume knob some too.
                Not a 5150 Kramer, but a 5149 1/2 Shamer
                www.bigmouthbetty.com

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for your prompt responses. BTW, I live in Brisbane, Australia so yes, gear here is very expensive. Aussie all the way!!! Inter, where do you source your gear from?

Last night I was thinking about getting a Fender Deville or something and an AB switch. No, I don't gig, not yet anyway. (Too busy with my thesis)

I might try changing the tubes. I have also heard that swapping the middle 12ax7 preamp tube for a 12AT7 or something does clean it up a bit. Anyone tried this mod?

Comment

The Traynor VC40WR is a cheap and affordable tube amp which I've heard to do cleans to match Fender amps, at around 500 American (I'm in Australia too).

As for conversions go, it always winds up here Down Under a lot more expensive than you would expect. *Sigh*
                    Originally posted by Kanye West
                    Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

Hi Vincent,

The thing with tubes is you never know what your getting if they aren't tested. Tubes used to be made for things like military radar and the tolerences were alot tighter than they are now. That's were Bob is great from www.eurotubes.com, check out the site and see what you think.

I get lots of gear imported from the states. But for amps, I generally check out ebay, trading post, pawn shops, etc.

Try the Boss EQ pedal in the FX loop, it does a great job of taking out the bass on the rythym channel.

Comment

Working...
                      X